40 project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2001, 09:27 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 40 project

I'm working on my first project car, it's 40 ford coupe. When I started
I already had a motor 326 pontiac, w/ a 400 trany just finished rebuilding it.
My question is do you know of any who has installed a pontiac motor in a ford, if so what was used for motor mount and exhaust manifolds, can any one point me in the right direction?

Adrian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2001, 11:20 PM

I have experiance with the 326 pontiac engine as I was , am a GTO nut . I will tell you that a 40 Ford and a 326 pontiac engine are the two most uncompatable things in the universe . For one thing , most 326 pontiac engines have only 1 set of mounting holes for the engine mounts , and the mounts you get for that engine are bastards . secondly I will bet your heads have only 4 exhaust bolt holes per head instead of the 6 later model pontiac engines have . This makes finding headders that seal a real ***** and if you have to use manifolds , and I bet you will , you need a set off a 64 or 65 pontiac catalina that turn straight down in the center of the engine . These manifold are a tight fit to the side of the 326 and you will need to srink that wide engine as much as possible unless you want to do serious cutting on the ford . If you get the 326 in the car , find a hei distributor off a later model 350 , 400 or 455 pontiac ,, by the way a 455 is exactly the same size as the 326 , if I put a pontiac engine in anything I would go for cubic inches as all pontiac v 8 engines share the same overall block external dimensions , I know this because valve covers , oil pans, heads intakes rods ect interchange , except the lowly 4.9 301 cubic inch ,, its a true bastard as nothing will interchange except oil pans and valve covers . Use a Holley 650 vacuum secondary spread bore replacement with a 4bbl q jet stock intake ,, this is interesting depending on the year model of your 326 , the engines changed slightly in 67 . Another thing you havent considered , the 400 turbo has a very heavy rotating mass for a 326 , a 350 turbo will do better behind that small cubic inch engine . The 400 works best behind high torque , high hp engines , the 350 works best behind smaller engines like the 326 . finally ,, my advice is , and you wont like it ,, get rid of the 326 , find a small ford or chevy engine that fits that hole better with more available accesories and mounting options ,, exhaust will be easier too . If you are intent on putting that 326 in that car , it will require patience and if you get it in , and im not saying you wont as I have seen a 455 in a chevette , you will have starter problems if you dont shield the solinoid from the exhaust heat . All Pontiac V8s suffer from this problem so plan on putting a solinoid heat shield on the started from the get go.
Old 10-30-2001, 07:27 AM

In replay to the man puting a Pontiac in a Ford First of all SHAME ON YOU It will never work properly because the mounting is off center of the engine to mount configuration this causes the engine to tourqe at a different place which places stress on the engine mount and if you brake this you are in big trouble the engine will move and take out the radator and the trany will jam causing the drive shaft to rase up and put a lump in your floor and if the drive shaft brakes it will wip everything out under the car. This is a very bad idea you will have better results if you put a 351 Cleavland engine in it will out run that Pontiac hands down in any run quarter or flying mile I have done this and been there.Take my advice and stick with a Ford engine.Afteral your set up is like puting salt on your ice cream.
Old 10-30-2001, 04:04 PM

If this is your first project car, you should learn as much as you can before you start spending money. Read the ads in Street Rodder magazine and send for catalogues. There are many companies selling parts and kits for your car. You'll find that there are more kits available for small block Chevy and Ford engine installations-which also means price competition. The December issue of Rod & Custom has an article on planning a car project. You'll be opening one can of worms after another upgrading the brakes, steering, suspension, wiring, rust and dent repair, etc.,etc. Try to find a local Street Rod club and join it(if there are several, join the one that's most active and fun). You'll not only be able to learn from the experiences of others, but their enthusiasm can be contagious later if yours wanes. Good luck.

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: 48Phred ]
Old 10-31-2001, 12:05 PM
Dominators Hot Rod Club

Last journal entry: On the run
Last photo:

Try: http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/listbyengine.html

this site has every engine swap known to man.

Good Luck
Old 12-22-2001, 01:01 PM

If this is your first project, I would recommend selling the Pontiac 326 and tranny and go with a small block Chevy and turbo 350. Sorry, that probably not what you wanted to hear but you will be dollars ahead. Almost every aftermarket street rod manufacture makes engine mounts and accessories for the small chevy in a street rod. It's actually a tight fit putting a small chev in a 40 Ford but actually a lot better than the Pontiac, when you consider brake lines, steering hook up and exhaust routing. It's really easy to say "Dare to be Different" and install the Pontiac, but the ones saying that are not paying paying your bills or busting their Knuckles. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« rear-end | rear end »