400 destroked with a 327 crank - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2004, 12:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

400 destroked with a 327 crank

I've been racing open wheel modifieds for several years now and have tried many enginge combinations but never a 400 with a 327 crank. I've got a garage full of 327/307 cranks and about as many 400 blocks so I thought I'd build something different. Done the 408/406, 377, 355, 327 and now a high revving 352?

My question is what is the best combo? I've seen 6.125 rods/327 crank and I believe it uses the same piston as a 5.565 rod in a 406. I've seen a Speed Pro piston that is for a 5.7 rod. Obviously the longer rod would be better but I've got a ton of 5.7 rods so I wouldn't have the expense of a 6.125 rod but...........just wondering if anyone has built this combo and what were your results.

Thanks
Tom

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

the 400 block 327 crank combo was one of smokey yunicks favorites, but i`d also say the best combo is for the track itself, if it`s a short track with tight turns a low straights, a longer stroke and smaller bore would be better since it would be mostly using mid range torque the most out of the curves, on long curves and long straights, a bigger bore and shorter stroke would be better since you`ll need more upper rpm horsepower. but most of all, If I raced a class where the more than 355 cubic inches was legal, the best combo is the one that has the most cubes.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleVision
the 400 block 327 crank combo was one of smokey yunicks favorites, but i`d also say the best combo is for the track itself, if it`s a short track with tight turns a low straights, a longer stroke and smaller bore would be better since it would be mostly using mid range torque the most out of the curves, on long curves and long straights, a bigger bore and shorter stroke would be better since you`ll need more upper rpm horsepower. but most of all, If I raced a class where the more than 355 cubic inches was legal, the best combo is the one that has the most cubes.
Well said. I love my 408 but I have a new rear suspension that I think will hook harder and quicker so I'm looking to turn some more RPM's. I thought this combo would be the ticket. It looks like it would be a great dryslick motor. In the summer the tracks dry out quickly and those big motors are hard to hook up. I've won more races with my little .030 over 327 but it is hard to make the show with it because we time trial or have heat races when the track is wet and tacky. Big motors really shine there. But when it drys out torque is not your friend and that little motor screams and still hooks up. So I thought a little (big) motor would be the cat's meow.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:16 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Hey Dirt Man, sounds interesting. Build it and let us know if its the cat sass!

Trees
Old 03-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Here is a Hot Rod Magazine article on destroked 400 using a 327 crank:
http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com...%20engine.html
Old 03-07-2004, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

that also answers you yore question, they use ford 300 I6 rods, Long beefy and cheap...
Old 03-07-2004, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by lluciano77
Here is a Hot Rod Magazine article on destroked 400 using a 327 crank:
http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com...%20engine.html
Thanks!!! I couldn't remember what magazine I first saw that article in. I used to save every magazine I ever owned but they were taking over the house so I sold or gave away all of them last year. What a fool I am. I'm going to build this motor in a couple of months as I have several projects ahead of it. It'll be similar to this build up only I'll have a circle track cam and Brodix heads on it. Should be kicka$$!!! The way this thing proformed in the magazine test sounds like I should build one for the haul truck too.

And yes it did answer my rod question. I run a 9 inch ford floater rearend so what would some Ford 6 cylinder rods hurt.

Thanks again guys.

Tom Gibson
Old 03-07-2004, 11:08 PM

Last photo:

as in the article id go with the ford 300 6 cyl rods machined to work with the 307 crank since it is the same as the 327 crank but always large journal. i dont think it uses the same pistons as any other combo though so you will need special pistons. its a high reving power plant though. let us know how it goes i want to build one too. right up there with the 4 engines i already have.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

Current Nascar engines are basically a .060" over 400" with a 327's stroke. Great upper rpm combo!! Alot of circle track guys in my area used to use that combo...depended on the size of the track though.

But...unless you're running in a cubic inch limited class - I'd go with the 377". That should provide all the rpm's you want - with the extra TQ from the 350" crank(compared to the 327 crank). Plus, you can still find steel 350" cranks for reasonable money!!
Old 05-09-2004, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

Here's the cheapest parts list I came up with to build this destroker.

Factory 327 crank.....cast or forged......which ever you can get your hands on cheaply. Eagle steel if you want a new one. My Scat dealer says that they will grind one for the same money and all of the other 9000 series Scat cranks.

Rods......Eagle and Scat both have 6.25 H-beam rods out now.

The cheapest pistons are Kieth Black's. Next choice would be a custom piston.......JE....etc.

I havn't listed prices because some of you may get them cheaper or not as cheaply as my sponsor/Scat dealer quoted them to me at.

I ended up using a large journal 327 crank I already had. The 6.25 Scat rods and KB pistons.

Next we'll see how it runs when I get it together.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Scat and eagle rods are a time bomb waiting to happen. Neither the crank or rods will take that abuse on a tacky track for long. You can get away with the GM steel crank if you balance it well and have it wet maged every year. Crower sportsman rods are only slightly more expensive and will last for years without worry. Expect to refresh the engine every ten nights with rings and bearings. Scat and eagle rods are good for 6000 and 450-500 horse, but not reliably. Crower can stay together for 7000 and 650 horse for years.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by johnsongrass1
Scat and eagle rods are a time bomb waiting to happen. Neither the crank or rods will take that abuse on a tacky track for long. You can get away with the GM steel crank if you balance it well and have it wet maged every year. Crower sportsman rods are only slightly more expensive and will last for years without worry. Expect to refresh the engine every ten nights with rings and bearings. Scat and eagle rods are good for 6000 and 450-500 horse, but not reliably. Crower can stay together for 7000 and 650 horse for years.
I don't disagree with you at all. But the whole cost of this thing was put up by sponsors who wanted to try the Scat/KB thing. I agree Crower/Callies or one of the USA products would last a lot longer. I don't really think this thing will crank much over 500/550 horse. So it might live and also with those long rods a lot of stress is being taken off of the block and the slower piston speed will help also.

Also if you really want to make this thing bullit proof you should use a Dart block instead of the 817 GM block I am using.

It is said poor people have poor ways. Maybe it should say poor people build grenades. hehehe
Old 05-09-2004, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

would you be able to put a more aggressive cam in it without messing up things or should you stay with the recommended ?
Old 05-09-2004, 09:37 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

hey, if you decide to sell any of those blocks please do let me know..I could use one or two as we speak...thanks, 2wld4u
Old 05-09-2004, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by rockport_juggalo
would you be able to put a more aggressive cam in it without messing up things or should you stay with the recommended ?
I believe you can put lots of camshaft at this motor. That big bore will help whatever heads you put on it breath. I'm using an old set of Brodix-8's. The only flow around 200 but have those big 2.08 intakes that will help. Camshafts depend on your budget. For oval track use a solid lifter Elgin 1090p would work well on a claimer. That is 537 intake......557 exhaust on a 106 lobe center. A roller is really the way to go. We havn't decided on a camshaft yet but our piston/rod/crank combo will work well with either type of camshaft.

Oh and I believe the more RPM's this baby see's the happier it will be. Sounding like a roller cam to me. LOL

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.