Hot Rod Forum banner

400 heads ideas

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
Hello im 19 and im pretty new with engine work and i have a stock 400 sbc i have a comp cam xe256 that i bought but i wanted to redo all of the top end and dont really know where to start. I dont have a lot of money but just want to run some stock chevy heads on it. just lookin for ideas on what heads would be good to run on it. Any Feedback would be apperciated

#4 ·
I agree 400 heads stock are bad about being cracked and most not good and most are 76cc chamber head with open chambers not good for power at all I would check around for a good 350 head. 64cc closed chamber head and. Just drill steam holes you can follow the head gasket as to where the holes need be i m sure a quick search on Google and gasket in hand most can handle the job I use do mine with hand drill but best use drill press if u have one

#6 ·
If I put the 350 heads on it would it have to run premium gas and its a bone stock 400 when I got it it didn't have a cam the bottom end is good but I just want it to have some good torque and I dont want the heads to be the thing that holds it back but its going in a 85 Chevy c20 lifted bout 6 inches it deffently shows its age but I got it as a gift and its my project

#10 ·
If the stock pistons are going to be reused, AND if the dish is 24cc like the 400 often used stock, the 64cc chamber size will put the compression ratio (CR) at about 9.6:1 using a 0.040" quench.

But if you want to use 64cc heads, at least go w/Vortecs. The old small chamber SBC heads are ~45-plus y/o and will usually need guides, seats, springs possibly valves, milling, etc. Not worth all that. Or just go w/aftermarket if the budget allows.

#8 ·
You would only need premium gas if you compression was high but with stock 400 you probly have dish pistons and with 64cc head you would not need premium gas you would he able run 87 the head itself either a 350 or a 400 head that you use wont determine what octane gas you need the cc of the head and. Type of piston and the cam you use will

#9 ·
IMO, if the stock heads are in decent shape use them, If you don't have alot of money to work with, don't get caught up in all the "YOU NEED" this & that, A simple stock 400 will have enough torque to keep you happy, I'm talking stock right down to the rotating assemble, That little xe256 you have will work just fine in a stock 400, If you want, just add bolt-ons like a decent set of headers (1.5/8) & Perf. intake, I got caught up in the "your compressions too low", The stock heads are junk, your leaving too much HP on the table Yada Yada Yada......, I'm "somewhat happy" with my 406, its got Iron eagle heads, decent cam, 10.4 compression, 750dp, RPM intake, headers, but i had a stock "re-ringed" 400 in a 78 2wd blazer back about 12 yrs. ago, all it had was headers & RV cam, That Blazer was a blast to drive, loads of torque, & yes, it had the crappy 882 heads & 8.1 compression, that was it, nothing fancy.

#11 ·
Thanks for the help guys but does anybody Know a rough estimate on getting heads magna fluxed and the motor on has like 45k miles on it but I wanted to redo the heads BC of the new cam and I needed push rods and lifters but another ? Would it be beneficial to run roller rockers over stock rockers

#13 ·
Thanks mouse but I just bought a double roller timming set I have an accel distributer but the heads I have now are casting #996 I think I dont know if the seats are cracked but iv thought about getting vortec heads but then ihave to but a vortec intake and right now I have a Weiand

#14 ·
Thanks mouse but I just bought a double roller timming set I have an accel distributer but the heads I have now are casting #996 I think I dont know if the seats are cracked but iv thought about getting vortec heads but then ihave to but a vortec intake and right now I have a Weiand

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.