400 info, help, tips, - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

400 info, help, tips,

Soooo I'm acquiring a 89 c10 w/ a 400 /th400. it has a 94-98 body on it.
I'm not looking for something really extreme. Daily driver, some get up and go, not like it needs to be excellent in a 1/4 mile but I would like it to be a fun truck. Lighting up the tires, and loud trucks runs in my family if you know what I'm saying. But I want it done right , not right now... I plan on bagging it, and maybe a body drop. i haven't quite decided on that yet. The rear diff is going to get switched out, no idea what to, or what would be worth it.(input goes here, lol) Want to change the the heads, cam, valves, just to have nice strong parts. but when it comes to all those things i get lost in the equation of cc, duration, and the rest of that fun stuff.

I really just don't want to end up with a combination that is going to be a waste of time, or leave me with a lame truck. I hate to sound like a retard.. I quite mechanically inclined. I just prefer to get some input from some people that know whats going on and what works. I've done some reading and know this can be quite a strong and reliable motor when done properly.

Thank you for you time and input in advanced.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

i'm trying to decifer what you have hear, " 89 c10 w/ a 400 /th400. it has a 94-98 body on it" there was no such thing as a 400 produced in 89, they stoped being produced in 81'. and then you have the whole 94-98 body on it.

if you want decent combinations for motors then go to the search function on this website and look up 400 sbc, look through those threads for a few hours and then you will probably be able to come back and get a few more answers.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:27 PM

Yea. I'm as confused as you are. I'm kinda inheriting the truck and only know what i have been told so far. This truck is from what i understand someones idea of a good time. I haven't been able to get around long enough to check the #'s on the block. ( i just read about that the other day But the owner and My dad are quite positive. The motor apparently came from an 86, which still makes no sense . And that's what i thought i was getting , but after i got a look at it. the body is far for that being it looks just like my dads stepside w/ 94 -98 body.. I just got a look at the title the other day and that says 89 pickup. I guess it was the owners nephews project but he had no idea what he was doing. after seeing the radiator being held in place with wire and a couple of bolts. and the exhaust looks like it was welded by a 10 year old, and dumps right behind the cab...I was looking for a project and sure got one The whole thing has got me thrown for a loop to and i could care less about the story behind it. The owner is completely legit. And i dont see why he would throw me a lie when i wasn't even looking for a 400.

As for everything else. I was reading and apologize for not follow the rules.
Still thinking on the 421 stroker. but its been sitting for a bit so since its gonna get taken apart, gonna get it bored. only enough to clean everything up . i would like to keep it less than .030. I understand that 6" or 5.85 rods are the way to go. but everything with the heads confuses the crap out of me.. Drilling steam holes seems easy enough.. but not gonna lie makes me nervous.. and self alinging rockers?? You can tell me to shut up if im mixing stuff all up. pretty convinced on flat top heads. i really dont see a point in dished when the compression in the 400 is low already.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mail.google.com.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	64959  
Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

That body style was used from '88 to 2000, so your truck could very well be an '89. If the engine is from an '86 it would for sure not be a 400. You may want to reconsider on the flat-top pistons in a 400. Most of the better hi-po heads are around 64cc's chambers. A 400 with flat-tops and 64cc heads with a quench around .040" will be over 11.5:1 static CR, you wouldn't be able to run it on pump gas. You'll either need dished pistons and/or larger chambered heads to build a 400 with a pump gas friendly CR. Flat-tops and 76cc heads with a good quench is still about 10.25:1.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.