400 mains inner diameter 2.82 inches? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 03:19 AM
mr mighty mouse

Last journal entry: shes dropped!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

400 mains inner diameter 2.82 inches?

ok so the block i have has 2.82 on the journals and factory 400 sbc was 2.65? I believe... Its been line honed? The rear and front main look all right its just i mic'd it out and it said 2.82 on both... Wander if its safe or junk to even line bore it anymore, machinist said it had to be bored with new splayed caps... Of coarse when he looked at me he just said it was just needing line honed, and then i told him it had after market caps he started racking me with fees. It hasnt been done yet but im wandering if the block is safe past this mark, soon itll be 2.90 and i was also wandering if they even sell main bearings for this kinda thing

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 AM

Last photo:

Only repair bearings (usually in -.010) are available in oversize OD (usually +.020.). These are not performance bearings.

I would pass on that block.. Machinest is correct, aftermkt caps will need much more work=$$$.

I get a bunch of calls from guys that can't understand why aftermkt caps install cost so much.. They don't realize that the caps have to be rough fitted. This may involve cutting new cap register, cutting new cap surface, cutting new bearing tang, drilling/tapping block. Then line bore/hone.

All take time and equipment== $$$.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:08 PM

Last photo:

I got to the shop and checked the books.. Crank OD is 2,6484/2.6493"

You must be measuring incorrectly as. 400 housing bore spec is 2.8406/2.8415". If your block measures this, it's OK, if larger it has been cut for larger OD bearings, As mentioned these would be repair bearings not available in many common ID sizes. Or the block has been in the hands of a rebuilder such as Jasper. These guys use every block that come thru and use custom OD bearings to fit their final size.. You and I can't get them.. Makes for real fun if the block needs another build after they get thru with it,,

Also have fun getting a rear seal that fits.. Been there..

Last edited by BOBCRMAN@aol.com; 01-17-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:41 AM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

O thank god, thank you for letting me know that it is suppose to be that exact measurement. Just a few off i suppose.. Its stock then right? The main housings did measure 2.82 i geuss its a lil small
Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 AM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
I got to the shop and checked the books.. Crank OD is 2,6484/2.6493"

You must be measuring incorrectly as. 400 housing bore spec is 2.8406/2.8415". If your block measures this, it's OK, if larger it has been cut for larger OD bearings, As mentioned these would be repair bearings not available in many common ID sizes. Or the block has been in the hands of a rebuilder such as Jasper. These guys use every block that come thru and use custom OD bearings to fit their final size.. You and I can't get them.. Makes for real fun if the block needs another build after they get thru with it,,

Also have fun getting a rear seal that fits.. Been there..
wait a second i just remeasured and it came out to spec of what you said above... I prob wont let em touch the rear main housing and ill prob make em hone it out instead of going through all that.
Not that i was trying to put the machinist down either, the guy was new to me and i dont know much bout there buisness, i coulda been getting ripped off. They were real jittery about racking the fees looking at one another and shaking there heads real funny... Its like they were paranoid.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:12 AM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
Only repair bearings (usually in -.010) are available in oversize OD (usually +.020.). These are not performance bearings.

I would pass on that block.. Machinest is correct, aftermkt caps will need much more work=$$$.

I get a bunch of calls from guys that can't understand why aftermkt caps install cost so much.. They don't realize that the caps have to be rough fitted. This may involve cutting new cap register, cutting new cap surface, cutting new bearing tang, drilling/tapping block. Then line bore/hone.

All take time and equipment== $$$.
And the caps i recieved didnt even need machined on the registers, i just torqued em into place, a lil bit of file here, lil bit of tle there, they slid in beautiful. And the clearances on the splayed outter step within spec, machinist even said so. I just rough fitted em my self, understanding the physics of metalurgy, everyone knows a block, takes time to 'heel' and 'form' new groooves, the registers were so loose with the old caps it wasnt funny. The aftermarket caps have a tight squeeze now just the way i like it. Like the thousand times ive put em in and took em back out of the registers, i was hoping the registers would conform. And so they did

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.