Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 400 pontiac and 400 chevy?are they the same?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 08:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Time for a change

I would use well prepared Chevrolet engine and a TH 700-R4 (4L60) automatic transmission with with all the up-grade goodies. I cannot think of a thing a 3-speed manual transmission would be good for except for a fish structure. I have built, raced and showed various Pontiacs since 1967. I can build a Pontiac engine blindfolded, but it is time for a change. Parts for those engines and vehicles have just about dried up. I pity the person who wants to restore one today.

Last year one individual bought my two '63 Pontiac Catlinas with 455 engines, two spare 455 engines, one 389 engine, six pairs of heads, and every other spare part that I had that would fit them. I even tossed in two engine stands in the deal. The only problem I had with that deal was what to do with all the money I received.

I have a good start on a two-owner 1991 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4x4, 4L60 transmission, and a professionally prepared 4.3L V6 engine. I have squeezed about 50 additional HP out of a 180 HP engine and it is still computer compliant. My objective is 15 sec. flat in the 1/4 mile, which is what the 1963 Pontiac 421 HO Motor Trend test car did.

Future plans include a 454 TBI on my stock intake manifold with bored-out throttle bores. And Edelbrock 68562 headers and Y-pipe, if that equipment will remain computer compliant. I need to go ahead and buy the Edelbrock exhaust system soon before it goes the way of the Do-Do bird and Pontiac parts.

Last edited by MouseFink; 06-24-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling