Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 400 pontiac and 400 chevy?are they the same?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 10:20 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77'Omega
Thanks mousefink my internet time is cut severely. you just saved me a ton of time on the computer and i also have found a muncie 3 spd. what is the wrap sheet on those. are they worth mesing with, i mean im probly going to be on the highway with this car and on the track from time to time so i want a good launch but i dont want to be at 3k RPM in final gear at 70 mph.
It will depend on your final drive ratio- the 3-speed and non overdrive tranny's in general are 1:1 in high gear.

Three speed trannys aren't much in the way of high performance (although there are HD 3-speeds)- if you want a stick shift, go w/a 4-speed at least.

If you want to run a Pontiac, there are more parts available NOW for them than there ever has been before. You can basically build a BIG Pontiac (if you want big, or a 400 if that's what you want) w/o using any OEM parts. A quick check on craigs just now showed about a dozen different complete engines, then blocks and cranks, heads, manifolds, etc..

Tri-Power set-ups (carbs, mainly) are costly, SD and HO parts are spendy, mainly because of restorers. The pre-'70 blocks had fewer motor mount holes, and there are some things w/the heat X-over to watch out for if you use an earlier intake on later heads, etc. but for the most part if you stick w/a 455 short block and even 6X-4 heads (porting helps) and a hydraulic cam, you can run 12's w/a 3.08 rear gear.

Another option if you wanted a cool ride, plenty of power and some uniqueness to it: Shove a 455 Olds under your Omega's hood. Being as how the Olds Omega is an X-body (Nova clone), you can use a BBC, SBC, inline 6, Pontiac, Olds, or Buick engine in it w/factory parts.