Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 400 pontiac and 400 chevy?are they the same?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 08:09 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77'Omega
ok im going with the pontiac 400
I think you made a good choice- at least not another Chevy engined non Chevy. I applaud you. I'm sure the Olds purists might have something different to say, but the Omega could be had w/a variety of engines from the factory. I just don't think the Pontiac was one of them, though. Oh well- this IS hotrodding, isn't it?? lol

Quote:
as for the trans some one is picking it up on there way through okc but it was 75 bucks and if it explodes after puting it in ill just get a different tranny plus i have a buick trans in the shop that looks just like the pontiac trans siting next to it. the buick tranny being a good one and the pontiac having huge holes and cracks all over.
thanks for all the input, i will up date on the 4 spd
Are the holes in the tranny case? It may be good for parts, at least.

The trannys are basically the same if from a B, O or P (Buick, Olds or Pontiac). The Chev has a different bolt pattern (the bell housing comes to a "peak") but is otherwise similar. The Chev 305 and lesser engines generally had one less clutch in each clutch pack than 350 or 400 SBC trannys, the BOP trannys will also vary some as to clutch count. The BOP trannys seem to have a better chance of having the better clutch counts, in my experience.

The F-body uses the short tailshaft. Swapping out the tailshafts requires an almost complete disassembly. If you swap trannys, you'll want to keep the speedo gears that match your speedometer if you keep the rear gears that are in it now. The F-body also uses a shift arm made to work w/the floor shifter that may or may not be w/the trannys you have.

Finally, there are relatively inexpensive adapter plates that allow you to bolt up a Chevy tranny to a BOP engine. I've used them several times and they work fine. I see they're up to >$60, last one I bought was like $35 IIRC .