400 pontiac and 400 chevy?are they the same? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 05:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

400 pontiac and 400 chevy?are they the same?

I have a '77 omega im building ans ive found a pontiac 400 thats just come back from the machine shop and ready to be built. problem is i cant find any parts for a 400 pontiac and i was wondering if the 400 chevy is the same and is this pontiac a sm block of a big block. btw this will be my first ground up build. sater day i bought a borg warner rock crusher 4 speed trans and im getting ready to start rebuilding the suspension and clean up the bottom side and rhino liner the underneath. any input is greatly appreciated. thank you

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 05:37 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77'Omega
I have a '77 omega im building ans ive found a pontiac 400 thats just come back from the machine shop and ready to be built. problem is i cant find any parts for a 400 pontiac and i was wondering if the 400 chevy is the same and is this pontiac a sm block of a big block. btw this will be my first ground up build. sater day i bought a borg warner rock crusher 4 speed trans and im getting ready to start rebuilding the suspension and clean up the bottom side and rhino liner the underneath. any input is greatly appreciated. thank you
Pontiac and Chevy SBC are not the same, no interchange of parts except the thermostat and gasket, a few bolts, and distributor cap and rotor.

Pontiac V8 blocks are niether small or big blocks, just V8 Pontiac, the external dimensions from the 270" to the 455" are all the same, only different sizes internally. Pontiac aftermarket parts are not hard to find, finding stock Pontiac parts is harder, they haven't been made since 1979.

Borg-Warner never built a "Rock Crusher" trans, that was Muncie. I'm assuming you have a Super T-10??
Old 06-15-2010, 05:42 PM

rock crusher

ive been told by several it not a muncie 4 spd its a borg warner but it have the same gearing as a muncie but whitch one o do not know and it has a iron case instead of a aluminum but its not the first time ive heard one called a rock crusher.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:47 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77'Omega
ive been told by several it not a muncie 4 spd its a borg warner but it have the same gearing as a muncie but whitch one o do not know and it has a iron case instead of a aluminum but its not the first time ive heard one called a rock crusher.
Don't feel bad, lots of shade tree confusion over the Muncie and Borg-Warner transmissions. Sounds like you have a good one, the iron case makes it a lot tougher than any Muncie, including the over-hyped "Rock Crusher". The aluminum case is the weak point for the Muncie.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

Just check the side cover on the trans. Should have 9 bolts...Borg-Warner. They had a lot of different ratios for T-10/Super-T10's (something Muncies didn't have). I'm sure B-W had a gearset that matched the Muncie 2.20.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:51 PM

rock crusher

well i guess im goint have to go get it to figure it out. my dad told me it will need bearings cause its set for like 18 years in an old guys shop and my dad is the only one i know of that knows the most about it cause he pulled it from the car it was in. and all i know about the gear set is its extremely tall on the top end

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.