Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 400 sbc
Thread: 400 sbc
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 09:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

400 sbc

@vinniekq2 the motor sat in my in another project for about 1 1/2 years. I started it up twice a week maybe drive it around the block just to move the fluids around. I did check the carb it leak up under the 1inch spacer replaced the gasket no leak problem solved on that one. but it still run rich. I check the spark plugs for gap it was alright just black from it running rich and those plugs are new. I'am running and hei unit. The cap and rotor appears to be in good shape. I tried installing a new fuel filter changed to 91 octane with a little additives still nothing. The motor sat in my truck for 4 months. before i actually started to drive it. all was well to well i thought. every time i would go around a corner i couldnt keep the rear tires from spinning even on lite throttle. this is even with a heavy 20 inch wheel. even nailing this @2000 rpm even worse i would lay rubber with no problem. All fun ended with the backfire through the carburetor. If it was my guess i would probably say it was a power valve along with jetting for carb issue. Now ideling in stop and go traffic the just going from park to drive without the car dying or the hard bump from park to drive i just dont know. everything from the motor to the transmission is fully rebuild. I would love to drive it, its just i spend more time tooling than enjoy this truck. I ready to replace the cam, to carb. and hopefully that will fix it right up. But if you have any suggestions on what to do then i will jump to it readilly. Thanks once again for the rapid reply and sorry for writing a book.