400 Sbc With 350 Crank Six Inch Rods - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 01:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

400 Sbc With 350 Crank Six Inch Rods

OK YOU 400 SBC GUYS . MY PROBLEM IS I REQ 8.5CR IN MY 400 (WHICH IS BLOWN ). BUT I'VE GOT AND REALEY WOULD LIKE TO USE IS THE 64CC TRICK HEADS I'VE GOT. BUT ARE UNABLE TO FIND PISTONS FOR WHAT I REQ . SRP STATE ON NEW PISTONS 8.8CR .WHICH GIVES IT WITH 30+ BORE, 6IN ROD , 3.48 STROKE AND WITH 64 CC HEADS.RIGHT I THOUGHT THAT WOULD GIVE 372CUBE ( DE'STOKEING IT )?????????? ANY THOUGHTS

HAS ANYONE BLOWN A 400 AND WHICH COMBO DID THEY USE GOOD OR BAD.OR AS ANYONE STROKED PROS AND CONS PLEASE

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2005, 04:04 PM

Last photo:

Well mine is not a 400 but, it is a 388 with 6" rods and 8.47:1 compression. You are not going to get there with 64cc heads no way, no how, with 6" rods. Either the 6" rods have to go or you have to get a set of heads with larger chambers along with dished pistons. The only way I was able to get there is by opening up my 72cc head to 75cc and I am running a Wiseco "D" dish piston (20cc dish actually measured 22cc). If you go with a 5.7" rod you will have a few more pistons to choose from. The selection is limited with the 6" rod.

Royce

Edit: I just re-read your post and you are going to destroke the 400, this may work in your favor. I am not sure what pistons you have to choose from. That is what will determine if your heads will work or not.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:11 AM

Last photo:

SORRY TO POSS MISLEAD YOU 7D I DO NOT WANT TO DE STOKE.I WANT TO KEEP IT 400 +30. SRP WEB SITE SAID THAT COMBO WILL GIVE ME 405CI. BUT I BELIEVED THAT GAVE 372CI ?????? I AGREE 6IN RODS AND MY HEADS ARE A NO NO . I' AM OK WITH 5.7 RODS POSS WITH LOTS OF (REGRETS)THE SMALL 400 ROD. BUT I'AM UNABLE TO FIND PISTONS FOR STILL 400 WITH MY HEADS. I WOULD LIKE TO USE MY HEADS ??????

DO YOU OR HAVE YOU HEARD OFF ANYONE HUFFING A 400SBC WHAT PRO'S AND CON'S DID THEY HAVE?????

( MY HEADS COST ME LOTS OF TIME AND MONEY TO GET WORKED OUT AND I FEEL .SO MUCH DIFF TO 72CC HEADS ON 350CI NOW. I WOULD GO TO SAY 50% FLATTER . IVE JUST RE'TUNED NO MORE?? EVERY THING ELSE STAYED THE SAME) IT DID 2 1/2 SEC SLOWER 1/4MILE (ONLY THING NOT THE SAME WAS I DID NOT UNCAP THE HEADERS) BUT THE THROTTLE RESPONSE IS SO MUCH FLATTER AND NOT SO CRISP????

YES I COULD 383 THE BITS I GOT BUT????400 LOOKS SO MUCH MORE FUN

I LIKE TO TRY AND GET IT WORKING THANKS AGAIN AL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	billing3%202004%20015_jpg.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	3897  
Old 02-09-2005, 04:53 AM

Last journal entry: 1956 buick special
Last photo:

check this out 377 ci

400 with 350 crank = 377 ci
http://www.streetlethal.ca/index.htm this is one bad boy,Iam into bbc but drop glenn a line hes cool 14 yr ago he was running 8 sec and street leagal with the same blower I run 14-71 he is now in the low 7s,my ride will fire this year with lots of shake down and maybe a run or 2 .this CANSO kicks butt, mass torque off the line, thinks its a small block,and were small blocks usualy die on the top end it comes on like a freight train and thinks its a big block,I have seen it eat 454,540,572,615,648,&714 ci normal asperated and n2o motors and a couple turboed .he is still working his combo he changed from a all steel 66 canso "nova" to a carbon fiber tube chassie bad boy that is still street legal.enjoy...jake
Old 02-09-2005, 05:52 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

A stock bore 400 block with a 350 crank is a 377 I think. I have heard with 6 inch rods that motor has a long flat torque curve and is a hard pulling combination. If you are stuck on using the small chamber heads why not just get some custom made pistons. Which would theoretically be better anyway since it is supposed make a more suitable squish area.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

Stock bore would be 372 CI. u gotta bore .030 over to get 377CI.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:27 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

OK, I guess they always end up a 377 because almost any used block will arbirarily get bored to .030 if it needs cleaned up. I think it is the 383 that is actually a 377 at stock bore.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

QUIT YELLING!!!!!!!!

I am running a 6 inch rod .040 over 400 with SRP 18cc dish pistons and 72cc Dart Heads. CR is around 9:1 and that is about as low as you are going to get with off the shelf parts from what I found. With 64cc heads you will be half a point or better higher depending on gasket and deck height.

Chris
Old 02-09-2005, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

The problem with 6" rods and trying to have low compression is, the piston is already short and the pin is in the oil ring already. You can't put that big of a dish in the piston because the rod is in there. I shopped around for a long time and as of about a year ago there were very few options. SRP, Wiseco and J&E were the only ones that made a dish piston for this application. The Wisecos had the largest dish so that's the one I went with. You also do not want a dog dish piston, you want a D dish they are a much better choice for small block Chevy engines.

I really don't think you will be able to get down to 8.5:1 with a 6" rod and 64cc heads. I had a hard time getting there with 72cc heads and a smaller bore. Your larger bore will create even more of an issue with the 6" rod due to higher compression. If I were in your shoes I would find a piston that meets your compression needs and then buy rods to fit.

The part of the reason your car performed better with the smaller chamber is because you had more compression which helped you make more power. Almost any aftermarket head is going to out perform a stock casting (76cc head). Once you add a blower to the mix the heads are "less" important. Don't take that the wrong way heads are still very important but, if you have the choice of 64cc heads that flow well and 10.5:1 compression or 76cc heads that flow "ok" and 8.5:1 compression, in a blown application give me the lesser head and more boost. With 8.5:1 you should be able to run 12-14lbs of boost (if everything is just right), with 10.5:1 you will only be able to run 6lbs of boost (on pump gas). Which do you think will make more power? If this is a race car and runs race fuel then don't worry quite as much about the compression.

Royce
Old 02-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

Ditto with Royce....well stated.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

ive tryed to reply three times and it keeps crashing on me .so i will try and keep short

thanks guys you confrim what i thought .it must off been a miss print on srp web site that said it makes a 405ci

right the two men that i've have lernt so much from in this past year ( reading past post) you both are like a good doulble act (in the good way) ive injoyed thank you royce and s10

so you both agree that for me to use my 64cc heads over 72cc above stock heads.would be hard work ( my head says i agree but my hart says try) royce i know you have done lots of reserch on building yours and i know its a 388 . how much more easy going are a pair of plan 72cc heads under a set off base to middle worked heads (in your reserch) i know its as what some say apples to bannas .what heads whould you suggest

s10 what crank and rods ,pistons are you using is any better now you would perfer to use . are you using gas (n20)what would you suggest for piston rod combo

its good to get both side off the force fed bros input thanks al

its is street driven not daily but get used i belive cars are to be used and not just looked at . it has and will see the long black stuff . we have the luck to have no fed laws and 98 octane fuel here so the mix is ok

by the way i typed this three times so i bet i've miss a bit so sorry
Old 02-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

I am using 4340 PMI(read chinese junk if you prefer) rods I got a deal on from ebay. They are about $250 cheaper than the Lunati Pro Mods and are rated to 800HP so I figured I would take my chances. I am using a 4340 Eagle crank(which I have also heard is chinese junk), but I got it for $329 on ebay so how could I pass. Pistons are the SRP I mentioned earlier with 18cc dish. Pistons are also cheap ebay deals. Can you tell I like Ebay?

I cant afford the super high dallar American made stuff so I use what I can afford. It would have cost me 3x as much to use something like a lunati crank and oliver rods or something of that caliber. I cant even keep my engine running long enough to blow anything up.

As for NO2, I would not even consider combining it with boost. There is absolutely no reason to do so and is just a new ricer fad IMHO. I could make 2500HP from a small block with turbos if I could afford it and had a car to put it in. Why would I need nitrous on top of that? Heck my engine already has the potential to make more power than my little S-10 could ever get to the ground.

Chris
Old 02-09-2005, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

chris i like ebay aswell lots . here in the uk we pay just over half to the dollor on ebay .uk traders charge us up to 25% over the dollor to us .do you deal with any ebay stores like thunder or performceunlimted .

why are you trying to keep it together is it because its a 400 or do you like your right foot to much

iam not rich ive got three kids a dog and a wife that dose not like me toys (but she gets her nails done twice a mth) so i must be allrite to buy some cheap chinnsee inports yer????
Old 02-09-2005, 08:00 PM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

DANG Volvo, is that your car in the picture?!?! Man, your about as ODD as I am!! I like it ALOT!! Listen, if you already have the 6" rods and the small chamber heads, why not go ahead and built a 377" motor with a 350 crank?? Then you can get the 8.5 to 1 comp. ratio that you need and with 12 to 15lb. of boost, you'll never miss 23 cubes!!! Besides, 377's will take more r.p.m's!!
Old 02-09-2005, 08:11 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

I'm sorry, i can't quite figure out which rods/pistons/ cranks you have to work with now but I think i agree with Oddrodder.. Can you list what you have now?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.