400 sbc bore or sleeve - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 PM
project pegasus{(([cloaked]))}

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

400 sbc bore or sleeve

I droped my 400 off at the machine shop to have work done to it but there was one cylinder that they were not sure if it would clean up on 30 so might have to take it to 40 over, my question is should I have them go ahead and bore all to 40 if that one cylinder doesn't clean up on the 30 or if it won't clean up on 30 have them sleeve that cylinder and have all cylinders to just the 30 over?
I would like to get the most out of this motor as around these parts their extinct.
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

Depends on if you already have pistons and how much money you want to invest in a block. I personally would go with .040 and just keep my eye open for another block for future work.

I don't like sleeving 400 blocks. Unless it is to save a damaged cylinder in a prime block. 400's have enuff problems with deck cracking and a sleeve, even done properly, can invite cracking into head bolt holes.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:19 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
Depends on if you already have pistons and how much money you want to invest in a block. I personally would go with .040 and just keep my eye open for another block for future work.

I don't like sleeving 400 blocks. Unless it is to save a damaged cylinder in a prime block. 400's have enuff problems with deck cracking and a sleeve, even done properly, can invite cracking into head bolt holes.
X2 On 400 blocks if they are going to be used for a performance application they should be sonic tested for cylinder wall thickness and plate honing is a must on those weak blocks.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:07 AM
project pegasus{(([cloaked]))}

Last photo:

Well unfortunately this weak block is the only one I can afford, maybe one day I will be able to get a Dart block and build one from there. I will just hold off on the sleeving and hopefully it will just clean up on the .030 over, they just wasn't sure until they actually started boring it.
I do appreciate the replies,
Thanks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.