400 SBC engine combo - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2003, 09:09 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

400 SBC engine combo

i might get a 400 small block chevy engine. how hard would it be to get a little over 400hp? i have 041 heads to start with. about how big of a cam would i have to use?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2003, 12:07 PM
i think its broke...

Last photo:

typical bolt ons :skeptic: intake, maybe 670-750 cfm carb, cam i wouldnt know, preferrably made by the same company as he heads u are using, and of course headers ask some of these chevy guys they could get hp by turning a distributor without looking besides, im the one asking for help, not too good at giving it :laugh:
Old 07-10-2003, 03:12 PM

now that i think about it i might go with something like a comp magnum 270H cam and about 10:1 compression. it might not be 400hp but its a daily driver so i need it to be OK on gas.

about what kind of gas milage would i get with a 400, 041 heads, about 10:1 compression, comp 270H cam performer intake, 600cfm edelbrock carb(just got it brand new for a 283 so thats what i'd have to use for now) headers, and a 3" catback? its got a th2004r trans with a .67 overdrive that i would probably have to have strengthened and a 3.23 rear. it would be in a 84 camaro that weighs in the mid 3000s.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:23 PM
i think its broke...

Last photo:

i wouldnt be looking at anything good...maybe somewhere in 5-10 mpg??? im not positive but i would imagine somewhere in there:skeptic:

Last edited by FoxThunder 5.0; 07-10-2003 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:23 PM

i know of a guy who built a similar 406 and got over 20mpg, i think something like 26. i forgot what it was exactly but it was better than the stock 305 that makes about 150-160hp.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:44 PM

well there viper with the gear ratios in the rear and trans somewhere around 15-20ish is not unheard of, however the 200r4 trans probably aint gona live long if you ever manage to keep the engine from raddling with that compression and that cam , think more like 9.0-1 , 10 is to much for that cam and it will never get any milage or power if you cant even get the ign timing near tdc let alone before

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.