400 sbc horse power question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 09:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

400 sbc horse power question

Good morning folks. I just finished putting my sbc 400 in. Its std bore, speed pro Flat tops 4 relief pistons. cam is Speed pro- cs 185r SPECS..304 int 304 exh duration@50 230 int and 230 exh 453 lift 114 lobe c/l The intake is a duel plane edelbrock Performer with a holley 650 spread bore. The heads are Dart 215 Platinum 64cc. The head gaskets are 28 thou compressed. Deck height is aprox 28 thou.
I have put this into a 1977 triumph tr7. It weighs 2580 lbs. TH -350 trany, 3500 stall converter, headers and shift kit. 308 nova Posi.Mickey Thompson 23 inch street slicks.I shift @5700rpm.It launches rediculously hard, no spin.
1st Question- aproximetly how much Horse Power do I have ?
2nd Question- aprox ET in the 1/4 mile.
I value your opinions and I know this Build could of been done differently, but I was on a budget and I kinda used what came my way. Thank you. Just out having fun.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

This is a pic of it when I had the 327 in it last year.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

after paint,rear-end,fuel ine,electric pump,brake lines wirring,welding,4 core rad,shfter,up grade brakes,on and on, months of work.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Dang it man I would say horse power should be in the frame twisting range of 400 all day long. Me likes it!

I gotta tell ya I have a TR6 and if I put that mill in it I would need to license two cars after the first hard launch cause it would split in half did you brace the chassis/frame?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0398.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	773.5 KB
ID:	62999   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0356.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	63000  
Old 02-16-2012, 06:51 AM

Last photo:

Great to see some one else with a TR These R7's and 8's have a heavy duty rail system built right in from the factory. Really beafy looking. The tr8 came factory with a v8. Only a hand full made it to Canada and the U.S. Its an excellent ralley car used aroung the world because of its body streangth. Last year the car ran a best of 12.9 with the 327, the rest of the runs were 13.3 and 13.2 I had another forum member run the numbers on his dyno program last night and came up with...395 @4800 and 400 hp @ 5100 rpm. The car weighs in at 2450 lbs. Kinda looks like it should run 11.7 to 11.5 this year.Its nice having the 308 rear dif, I can cruise @ 75mph down the high way with TONS of passing power. It went 130mph easy with the 327. Its so light that you can idle around town in high Gear and still pull away on anything trying to get buy you.LOL There is a tr7 on U-tube with a 383, and he gives it a shot of nitrous down the track and runs low 10's LOL. Its a fun weird little car, and they handle Extreamly well at high speeds, excellent in the twistys as well. these cars are a PAIN in the butt to work on though,..hard to find parts for....and you have to hand build all your performance parts your self as theres no OFF THE SHELF hop-up goodies.The wiring is AWFUL at best,..so I pulled it all out and rewired every thing...."lots of toggle switches" lol. Putting in the 4 core radiator was interesting....took 3 days trying to SQEEZE it into the nose cone between the mechanical head lite assembly.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

cam change

Decided to go with a different cam. I was talking with an experienced engine builder on a different Forum and he built close to the same engine combo that I have. Only difference,"used a 780 carb" He used a hydrolic Lunati Voodo cam and his motor Dyno"d 430 hp at 5500 rpm and 436lbs tourqe. He gave me the cam number and said it would work MUCH better than what I have now. He also said to run roller rockers.So I think Ill follow his TRIED and TRUE advice. He told me "tourque wins races,not Horse power. Its nice to get input from people who have allready tried different components, and have a dyno to play with..LOL. Now I'm really excited to get this little monster to the track this summer. Thanks Len, if your reading this.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.