400 sbc horsepower stumped - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 01:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

sapsZ28

I did 1 3/4 headman headers 3 inch collector 3 inch xpipe,got rid of the H pipe, 3 inch 2 chamber flowmasters ended up not liking the magnaflows, also put in a 1/2 inch open phoenolic spacer breaths alot better and climbs the rpm ladder faster,I might have room for a 1 inch spacer that will be the next step,not alot of clearance under the Camaro but today i'll find out if it fits.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 09:06 AM

use an open manifold,your engine is begging for more air
Old 08-04-2012, 05:25 AM

saps Z28

Thats why I went with RFI supresiion wires and plugs for 3000kms and 3-1/2 months no noise through the radio,which is a constant noise not the winding rpm type due to rfi suppression or bad grounds this sound is like listening to the distributor firing order throgh a specific sound wave.
This all happened after I changed my cap & rotor and put new hei boots on after custom cutting to length my existing wires , they were way to long from the factory,all parts wereexact as the ones I tossed ,MSD and TAYLOR,. and last I put on a 1/2 inch spacer last weekend and there was a significant difference the car could breath and wind up under load better,last night I switched it and put in a 1 inch spacer ,phoenolic open bore,I only moved the car to park it in the garage but I think I finally woke up the beast .just from pedal feel and sound.althugh i will eventually check it again do spacers in the 1 inch range need the carb rejetted due to the air volume change in the plennum vs before.

Thank YOU EVERYONE who has helped me along the way with my ride.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:19 PM

saps Z28

I changed the contact under the coil and it was all black with carbon on the spring as well the cap and rotor kit came with 2 contacts the [stock] one,and the Msd steel one which I used with dialetic grease,as for the traction issue no I have not adressed it yet, on a daily basis the cars tire will stay as is remember I use it city and hwy on a daily basis thats why I built it to drive it and enjoy it its my little time machine.ive made my tranny decision tremec 5 speed with a .68 overdrive and a 4.10 rear end ratio,i,ll check the ohm readings on the ignition system and let you know, Your right about the 1/2 inch spacer not a huge difference but there was a significant improvement with the 1 inch spacer,
Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 PM

sapsZ28

In regards to the resistance for the ignition wires what type of numbers should I be looking for in regards to ohms or any other number. when it comes to electricity that is my weakness I dont understand it very well.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:11 PM

saps Z28

Anyone outhere have any knowledge of ohms and or resistance for ignition wires I checked my grounds and they are intact I have 3 rear battery to the frame block to the firewall and alternator to the frame.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:13 PM

sapsZ28

they are Taylor spiro pro's 8mm resisitor type Thanks for the ohm info I will do the redings and get back to you I am assuming the lower the reading the better.
As for the noise its not that winding radio noise its a static crackling sound on battery power there is no noise only when the car is running and its a very low frequency soundit goes through all four speakers but I'm not sure if it goes through the sub i have 2 separate amps I'll get back to you.Thanks again
Old 08-29-2012, 07:36 PM

sapsZ28

well I figured out why at times my motor stumbled and momentarily lost power then csme bsck to life I only had a 40 GPH freefflow fuel pump on it rated to 300hp I put a edelbrock performer rpm fuel pump on it which free flows 110 gph and holy crap the motor really came to life before it would pull to 6500 rpm but after 5000 rpm it would take its time now even with the 3:42 gear the car goes to 6500 rpm in a heartbeat ,what a bonehed move I pulled but when I make a mistake i admit it it runs so much better now,I also bypassed the regulator since the pump is preset for 6 psi which is what my ultra 750 calls for,Thanks agaim everyone for all your advice and input.
Now we start to save for a 5 speed.happy cruising everyone
Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

flow

Good for you figuring out the fuel flow problem somethings can really haunt a person.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:27 AM

sapsZ28

Hi F-Bird with the new pump and exhaust and a custom diff pinion snubber,22 degrees initial and 40 total I had a 1,91 60 ft 12,79et @110.68 mph I launched it at 3100rpm its getting better plus I drove it 340 KM round trip to cayuga and back next up is ported heads with a 2.08 int valve 5 and a 125 shot of spray over the winter Thanks for the advice. I know gears and tire when I fry my rears I will go with a drag radial BFG I still want streetability and some handling
And thank you for all your input.
Thank you all
Old 10-14-2012, 10:48 AM

10 mph is good for low 12s or better
Old 10-15-2012, 01:10 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
Hold off on the spray idea until you have the N/A motor tuneup all sorted out.
The fuel curve must be dead on or you will hurt parts.
The mechanical pump (alone) is a mistake$$$ with nitrous.
Again been right where you are at. Been playing with small and big nitrous and going way to fast, for some 30 years on cars like yours and mine . And some silly powerfull racey stuff too.
The Hyd roller cam (limited rpm capability) is a point too with nitrous.
You do not want engine fuel in consistant -leanout or valve float-hyd lifter pump up with N2O. $$$$
Bad things happen fast on nitrous.$$$
You are not there yet.
I totally agree with this...you need to really finish sorting out all the little things naturally aspirated first.

Don't even think about nitrous without an electric fuel pump.

"Bad things happen fast on nitrous" is an understatement for those who don't have all their ducks in a row first. It will happen faster than you can even begin to react to save the engine...literally "the blink of an eye".... and the engine is hurt.

Along with the fuel curve, the ignition timing has to be corrected for the nitrous use.

Tags
400, engine

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.