Hot Rod Forum banner

400 sbc powerglide trans top speed 1/4 trap

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 ·
okay I have a 400 sbc stock bottom end. aluminum dual plane intake, 750 qjet, stock heads (for now) and a powerglide w/2.73's AND 488/510 CAM WITH 114 LSA. I haven't got the timing done completely so its still a lil off and I've been advised not 2 go WOT until I do get the timing down. but so far I love the 400's torque compared 2 the putt putt 307 I had.

the motor shifts into second around 40mph. can drop down 2 20mph while its in 2nd.
BUT MY QUESTION IS WITH A WIDE LSA WOULD THE TOP END BE MORE THAN a smaller lsa cam?
when I'm in it it feels good on the highway I'm cruising @ 72 right around 1900 rpm. this is a STREET CAR. I haven't gotten into the throttle 2 much but what should be top end speed when I do get into those big secondaries?

#3 · (Edited)
okay I have a 400 sbc stock bottom end. aluminum dual plane intake, 750 qjet, stock heads (for now) and a powerglide w/2.73's AND 488/510 CAM WITH 114 LSA. I haven't got the timing done completely so its still a lil off and I've been advised not 2 go WOT until I do get the timing down. but so far I love the 400's torque compared 2 the putt putt 307 I had.

the motor shifts into second around 40mph. can drop down 2 20mph while its in 2nd.
BUT MY QUESTION IS WITH A WIDE LSA WOULD THE TOP END BE MORE THAN a smaller lsa cam?
A wider LSA favors top end over bottom end, but the difference won't be huge unless the cam is a mismatch from the get-go. An article that compares various LSA in a SBC 400 (as well as open and divided plenum intakes): http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/t...eparation_angle_performance_test/viewall.html

Also, many cams have ground in advance when installed at the recommended ICL. This doesn't change the LSA, but tends to bolster the bottom end.

when I'm in it it feels good on the highway I'm cruising @ 72 right around 1900 rpm. this is a STREET CAR. I haven't gotten into the throttle 2 much but what should be top end speed when I do get into those big secondaries?
Wallace Racing - Automotive Calculators

#4 ·
aye cobalt327, good looks on the article but then another question after all the tests comes into mind. Does a hyd flat tappet respond to the same lsa feats of the hyd roller.
I would think on alot of lines they should resemble one another but I guess Friday night test and tunes and my weekly pays checks will help me figure tht out.

I had got the cam I used for pretty cheap ($30) and wanted to see how it sounded and felt since I had it. here ill let you all here it 2.

I can only hope I don't get any complaints from my neighbors when I crank it up 4 work in the am :spank:

#6 ·
Sounds good.:cool:

The LSA behaves the same regardless of what kind of cam it is. If the cam you have now was a 108 LSA it would be rattling the fenders- lots more lope to it. That cam you have would be more radical sounding if it was in a 350 engine instead of the 400. But overall, I like the sound of it.

I'd route the pipes out the back or side, though. Having them end under the car you might get a drone inside the car and the chance of carbon monoxide getting in the cabin is worse.

#8 ·
Sounds good.:cool:

I'd route the pipes out the back or side, though. Having them end under the car you might get a drone inside the car and the chance of carbon monoxide getting in the cabin is worse.
Thanks!!. . . and yeah I'm hip 2 the drone sound especially from the one thts up under my feet. I hear it @ a certain rpm range. Ima get the pipes routed this week. don't wanna look over n see my girl passed out from the fumes type shidd.

and looks like I'm about to start searching for another cam ASAP.
I've always had a thing 4 LUNATI. but cam selection is a headache

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.