400 sbc rebuild - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011, 06:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

400 sbc rebuild

hey i am rebuilding a 400 sbc clearly but thisis the first time ive rebuilt a motor with my parts so idk exactly what to use i want it to be a street car eith at least 400 horse but idk like what cam to use crank what kind of bearings rings pistons rods heads i just dont know what type to get especially when it comes to the iston head combo i want it to be right but not otrageous in cost any help is wanted

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 06:43 AM
454, what turns your crank?

Last journal entry: Replacing bearings and crank
Last photo:

Well first of all you need to decide what your spending limit is going to be for this build. Either find a good set of cast heads, or go with aftermarket aluminum. You have to decide where you want your motor to build its power, you want a high revving small block or more of a low end power maker? To keep it simple look into the combos that Edelbrock has for sale Ie: Heads, cam, and intake. For your bottom end a good steel crank will do you just fine, now if you want to keep the RPM's low then just some cast rods, and pistons will do just fine, or some hypers but don't try to take them above what they are meant for. A good choice would just to go with forget rods and pistons no matter what kind of engine build this will be. But before you buy your pistons you need to decide what kind of compression ratio you want. What I start with is my heads. Get all the work done to them to find out what your chamber size is going to be so you can get the right pistons. Then buy your intake, after your intake is bought match a cam that works with the flow of your heads, compression ratio, and the way your intake flows the air. 400 is easy with the cubes your working with. I am assuming you already have the block? When it comes to bearings, either Clevite or King bearings. I personally use King bearings. Do a search on engine combos people have done on here with a 400 and if you like one build it to those specs.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:36 PM

well one thing i do have is a fam friend with a air of cortec heads i thought bout drilling the steam hole and throwing theem on i want a decent horse ower motor i was told by the guy at my local seed sho i could do little work and come out with 400 horse so i would like to osibly reach that and as for budgetr nothin g ricicoulous but i want reliale but remember its only a street car but a streeet car not to be messed with and what ratio for com is best
Old 08-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I would offer my 2 cents in a reply, but I can`t understand half of what you typed. You said something about a street car not to be messed with but you want to do that on a budget. First off, you need to know some rules about the 400. If it has the stock crank and rods, the crank and rods will need to be balanced, otherwise they`ll pound the main bearings to death. The rods will need ARP bolts installed plus resized. The short 5.565 rod gives the engine a horrible 1.48:1 rod to stroke ratio so the compression has to be kept in check, I wouldn`t go higher than 9:1 or it`ll detonate itself to death in short order. Vortec heads are okay to use, but if you plan on running a cam over .450 lift you will need to have the valve guides clearanced to accept the higher lift cam. You`ll also need a vortec intake and self aligning rocker arms. With the stock rods it`s safe to rev it to the occasional 5500 RPM but
not constantly. I would also replace the balancer and flexplate and drop them both off at the machine shop to be balanced with the crank, rods and pistons.
Since Vortec heads have small 64cc chambers you`ll need a piston with a very deep dish to get the compression low enough to run without detonation on 93 octane pump gas. If you plan on using the factory stock bottom end and pistons then it`s only a matter of time before it`ll give up. The awful short rods cause a lot of side thrust and increased friction that wear out the pistons and the rings alot faster than smaller small blocks. Making 400 horses with a 400 is easy, but it`s got to be done right if you expect it to live. If you plan to run a automatic tranny you`ll need a stall converter that matches the cam and a large external tranny cooler to keep the tranny from being cooked to death with heat. The rear gears are also very important.
Depending on the tire size you`ll need a gear in the range of 3.73:1.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:59 PM

ok sorry bout the typos some of the letters dont work as you can see p is the main one and i will be throwing a fourspeed in the car ad it had a stock three speed i feel any muscle worth having needs a clutch haha so if i were to take the heads to a shop and balance the low end of the motor how much does that cost
Old 08-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Man i am sorry you got to get those key's fixed very hard to understand. Just exactly what list of part's do you already have now ?

Cole
Old 08-17-2011, 11:31 AM

i have nothing starting from scratch but i want good horse but nothing race worthy but decent street machine i might keep the stock heads to that maybe a possibility if so what would i need to doo i am looking at some voodoo cams some new istons and rods but idk what is good for a cheap price i want reliable but good basically
Old 08-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Lets put it another way. Lets just ask, how much are you looking to spend?
What`s the budget?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

If you have nothing then why a 400? Also your going to get what you pay for (I have made that mistake more than once..) and from what I have learned going cheap is not going to be reliable. But then again I don't know what your definition of "cheap" is. DV is going to chime in I am sure, but the cam will be the last thing you select. You buy the cam to match everything else you have on the engine. He will have a lot better information for you then I will but i had to give my $.02 about going with cheap parts. I will have built my motor in my car 3 times now because of it..
Old 08-17-2011, 02:33 PM

well im sorry i have a motor but its blown so i have everything essentially and i dont mean cheap i mean not the most expensive but the in between
Old 08-17-2011, 02:34 PM

and as far as budget goes not super low i just dont want to spend my entire lifes savings
Old 08-18-2011, 09:08 AM

Last photo:

Ok well just to ask again what Double Vision asked you... How much money do you have to spend on this motor? Like an exact dollar amount..
Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 PM

idk i\ve never bought the parts so idk exactly but is fifteen to low
Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

$1,500 or $15,000?
Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

What exactly do you got from the blown up 400 that is usable, rebuildable?

What is the casting number of the vortec heads? stock? need rebuild?
New? Used? any mods/upgrades already done?

I have a cool low buck vortec head combo that uses stock (062-906) vortec heads (in good condition or rebuilt) stock vortec rockers /retainers, seals but new valve springs. Isky .450" lift Mega Cam. Performer RPM vortec intake 750 holley/edelbrock, headers

needs 3.73's 4.10's and a 3000+ converter Makes well over 400hp and a ton of torque.

You need the block , crank and 400 SBC connecting rods and a rebuild kit with new stock replacement type 400 SBC pistons.

All used, junkyard, buddies friend of a friend , ebay vortec heads must be magnaflux checked for cracks first. Many of these heads are unusable junk.

The cost is kept low using stock GM vortec head valvetrain ( w new springs)
stock crank 400rods and stock dished pistons. (KB UEM Silvolite #1443 dished)
Its not fancy but it will haul the freight.

Do not use a flat top piston w vortec heads on your 400SBC

whats it going in.? easy 12's in a Camaro/Malibu

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 08-19-2011 at 03:45 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.