400 sbc rods? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2004, 02:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

400 sbc rods?

I am building a chevy 400. I bought a 10/10 crank for it. I want to know if I should run the stock rods (5.65) or should I run 350 rods (5.7). I do not want to go to the dragstrip. I just want a good streetable engine. Which rods should I go out and try to purchase. I was thinking about buying brand new stoke rods. I want to run about 9:1 to 9:5 compression. Should I purchase some vortex heads or run some 64cc closed chambered heads with 2.02 valves?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

While most do not like the idea of running stock 400 rods, we ran them many years in a mud race 400, never had any problem with them, but it is a better idea to use the longer 350 rods, due to somewhat less side loading and etc. if you use 350 rods you`ll need the correct compression height pistons, and if you run vortec or any small combustion chambered heads, you`ll need a D dish piston with a sizeable dish of around 18 or so cc`s, I recommend D dish pistons as when they are set with a tight quench distance of around .040, they have outstanding combustion characteristics, which aid in power making, to explain it further, the "hole" created by the dish gives the combusted mixture a place to push into with more force. if you use full concave or dished pistons, it doesn`t work as well from the lack of quench. if you use vortec heads remember to have them drilled for steam holes, and use the correct fel pro gasket which gives the instructions to drill the extra coolant passage to aid in cooling. if you set it up this way with the heads, a decent cam and etc. you`ll have a torque beast, you`ll be very happy with the end results.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:13 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Vortec heads are 64cc. 2.02/1.60 fulie heads are 64cc. Old 327 fuelie heads (1.94/1.50) and 300 horse 350 heads are around 60 ccs.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I put Vortecs on my strictly street 406. The machine shop drilled the holes (some are drilled at an angle) for $30. With a Comp Cams XE268, it runs well.
I stayed with the stock 5.56 rods since I don't run it hard. It saved on clearance problems with the block and cam.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Here is the 400 kit I have in my engine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33620
I prefer using new rotating assemblies.

It has the 5.7 rods, 10:1 compression (with 76cc chambers). 10:1 is good. You will be fine on pump gas. It is worth the extra bottom end and idle quality. I think 9:1 is too low. If you run 64cc heads you will be at about 11.2:1. That is what my engine is. It is possible to do, but not easy. Get some 72cc chambered heads if possible.

If you are starting from sratch 5.7 rods are worth it. If not, they aren't that big of a performance gain.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:10 PM

I agree with that, if it was strickly a street engine and I had a good set of 400 rods I wouldn't hessitate to use them. They are not ideal but they will serve you just fine
Old 03-09-2004, 06:54 AM
84 Z28 Convertible

Last photo:

I'm installing 6" rods in my SBC 400 and last night I grind the bottom of the cylinder walls. #8 was the biggest culprit because it hit the bottom of the cylinder to the point that it would not let the assembly turn. I will have to clearance four more cylinder tonight before I bring it to the machine shop for balancing. I have not had to take anything off the rods to clear the cam. I'm using Eagle ESP 6" Rods which is suppode to have stroker clearance built into them. I have been a little cautious so I have taken about .060 clearance for each rod.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:07 AM

As I have told you before Terry you need to stop building this 400 and go with that 327 because as you told me via email you really want to build that 327 for your 4 door cutlass supreme. If you don't go with your heart then you will mad at your resutls but if you want to go with the 400 give me a call.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.