400 shifting problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 07:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

400 shifting problem

I just rebuilt a 454/400 for a friends camero, he got it running put it in R, backed out of the garage, put it in D went down the block and when it automaticaly shifted into 2nd. he said iut felt like the brakes were applied. Without taking it for a ride myself I told him to pull it and I would flip the sprag around. Well I went to his house with my tools and pulled the pump, forward, and direct drums to find out it was installed correctly. The intermediate shows signs of being applied, the rear band is not applied but something seems to be applied at the same time that intermediate hits. Here are the mods; 2 shims in mint pump, 1-2 shift valve (installed correctly) with plug in valve body not to deep,big spring in servo/ acc. assy. discarded, 2-3 acc. spring discarded, piston upsidedown with E-clip installed, 2nd sealing ring center supp./ upsidedown lip seal direct drum removed, case plugged right of 12 pt. bolt, seperator plate per B&M specs, 2 balls; low/ rev., mod/intr., clutch packs are clearenced correctly. I now have this torn down completely and I cannot find anything wrong. I have built at least 50 of these 400s with this combination with excellant results. HELP!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L88
I just rebuilt a 454/400 for a friends camero, he got it running put it in R, backed out of the garage, put it in D went down the block and when it automaticaly shifted into 2nd. he said iut felt like the brakes were applied. Without taking it for a ride myself I told him to pull it and I would flip the sprag around. Well I went to his house with my tools and pulled the pump, forward, and direct drums to find out it was installed correctly. The intermediate shows signs of being applied, the rear band is not applied but something seems to be applied at the same time that intermediate hits. Here are the mods; 2 shims in mint pump, 1-2 shift valve (installed correctly) with plug in valve body not to deep,big spring in servo/ acc. assy. discarded, 2-3 acc. spring discarded, piston upsidedown with E-clip installed, 2nd sealing ring center supp./ upsidedown lip seal direct drum removed, case plugged right of 12 pt. bolt, seperator plate per B&M specs, 2 balls; low/ rev., mod/intr., clutch packs are clearenced correctly. I now have this torn down completely and I cannot find anything wrong. I have built at least 50 of these 400s with this combination with excellant results. HELP!!
make sure you have the check ball in the bath tub area near the rear band servo.

Check the rear band servo area for grooves , broken/cut sealing ring , wear ridges in the accumilator area of the case and servo piston.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:02 PM

Stumped

I Do have it in the low/reverse cavity.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:10 PM

Still Stumped

I just went out to the garage and looked at the servo assy., it looks ok and bores look good. The sealing rings and o-ring are good. Do you think the servo is the culprit??
Old 10-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Did you replace the large bushing in the center support? Did you look for cracks?

There could be a cross leak in the rear band servo / accumilator area that is feeding the low/reverse band.

You said bind up was in 2nd gear? the problem should be the l/r band.

Piston in the v-body........ You flipped an early design piston? Flat side on piston normally towards the servo piston on the coasting band?

I have not flipped a piston in the v-body in 20 years, with dual fed 3rd gear there is little need... just my opinion
Old 10-08-2005, 02:51 PM

Still Stumped

My friend and I just left my garage, Hes been building 400s for 25+ years like myself. He is mystified himself! He cant find any reason why it shoudnt work. He did however question why I would flip the acc. piston over in the VB. So after Looking at all assys. for quite some time we both noticed that the front band has been applied to the direct drum. Why, I dont know, we both decided that since the car has a big stall and 4:56 gears that maybe he didnt feel second shift, but what he is feeling is direct? But the band applies only in manual second gear, right? He swears that he put the Camero in Drive for its maiden voyage. The only other matter we found was a few aluminum slivers in the rear servo, new sealing rings? I'm not sure what to do at this point, I'm still leaning at something was stuck! OLY-OLY OXEN FREE
Old 10-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

if the flipped acc piston does not seal properly , it is possible the pressure will apply the coasting band in 3rd gear.

You are aware of the different designs of acc piston and servo piston? I would not mix early and late parts. Never re-use a plastic piston.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:13 PM

400 Stumped

I turned the acc. piston in the VB back to stock with the spring out. I have done plenty of research on which assys. go with which apply piston in the case, it seems that I have everything correct. I reassembled it with some new gaskets and sent it back to him. There is no reason it shouldn't work, however I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks for all your help!!!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.