400 small block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013, 01:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

400 small block

Hey guys just want an opinion. I dropped my 400 off at a builder to do a minimum build. (hone,bearings and rings) but it never works out as planned. he told me block looked great but crank not so good..I bought a new crank (eagle) and he said pistons looked good. When he was balancing crank he now states I need to bore it minimal (.10 or .20) and get new pistons. I had already purchased a xe274 cam and have a edelbrock rpm manifold. we are going to go back with dished pistons and reworked stock heads. Do you guys think I will have a good peppy daily driver with this combo?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 03:21 PM

Wow 60 views with no opinions,lol. I also wanted to state I will have a 700 trans and a 3:42 gear ratio. I also have headers for it with dual flow masters. Not sure of carb just yet but I definetly will be getting away from computer controlled carb. thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

yes alot of lookers but most maybe guest. hold on and the motor gurus will chime in and help ya.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:37 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtony55 View Post
Hey guys just want an opinion. I dropped my 400 off at a builder to do a minimum build. (hone,bearings and rings) but it never works out as planned. he told me block looked great but crank not so good..I bought a new crank (eagle) and he said pistons looked good. When he was balancing crank he now states I need to bore it minimal (.10 or .20) and get new pistons. I had already purchased a xe274 cam and have a edelbrock rpm manifold. we are going to go back with dished pistons and reworked stock heads. Do you guys think I will have a good peppy daily driver with this combo?
To achieve good ring seal on 400 blocks a torque plate hone is a must as that is a pretty frail block compare to a 350 block.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:44 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtony55 View Post
I have the XE274H cam in my 350 +.060. That cam needs compression. I have flat top pistons and 66cc combustion chambers and around .046" squish. So I am at 9.9:1 on iron Vortec heads.

If you are going to really run a dished piston (which is not a performance part...and is it cast aluminum? or hypereutectic aluminum), then at least advance the cam. Do you plan on milling down the heads a lot to take volume out of the combustion chambers? It sounds like you are headed down a path of mismatched parts (stock heads and stock dished pistons and low compression ratio).

This article is a good read. According to it, your 230 cam wants around 10.25-10.5:1 Compression ratio. Probably fine for aluminum heads as long as you mind the squish distance (but again dished pistons don't give you proper squish). But iron heads are not going to tolerate that well, especially old factory smogger bath tub combustion chambered heads.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w..._compatibility
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Surfer For This Useful Post:
gmtony55 (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 03:47 PM

Thanks goodness I have someone building it, because i dont even know what a torque plate is moreless honing it.lol I have a company called diamond engines in hammond building it for me. They only build racing engines but I worked a deal with him on something I had he wanted.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:50 PM

We rebuilt one allmost stock diffrent cam.intake and headers. It was in a pickup. It ran very well aginst stock pickups. Were it is true or not they were said to have cooling problems and i have only saw one pickup that had its orginal 400.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
I have the XE274H cam in my 350 +.060. That cam needs compression. I have flat top pistons and 66cc combustion chambers and around .046" squish. So I am at 9.9:1 on iron Vortec heads.

If you are going to really run a dished piston (which is not a performance part...and is it cast aluminum? or hypereutectic aluminum), then at least advance the cam. Do you plan on milling down the heads a lot to take volume out of the combustion chambers? It sounds like you are headed down a path of mismatched parts (stock heads and stock dished pistons and low compression ratio).

This article is a good read. According to it, your 230 cam wants around 10.25-10.5:1 Compression ratio. Probably fine for aluminum heads as long as you mind the squish distance (but again dished pistons don't give you proper squish). But iron heads are not going to tolerate that well, especially old factory smogger bath tub combustion chambered heads.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w..._compatibility
Thanks for this info. I will visit my builder before he purchases my pistons. I will share your opinion with him and see what he thinks.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

Stock heads are not gonna work with that cam.You will need stronger springs & proper clearance for the .490 lift of that cam.With a 5cc flat top piston,72cc heads, & a .045 quench,your compression is gonna be over 10:1.You are prolly gonna have to use a D dish piston of 10 cc's or above to keep compression @ a pump gas level.That cam is not a good choice for mostly stock motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to jokerZ71 For This Useful Post:
BaySox1 (09-04-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerZ71 View Post
Stock heads are not gonna work with that cam.You will need stronger springs & proper clearance for the .490 lift of that cam.With a 5cc flat top piston,72cc heads, & a .045 quench,your compression is gonna be over 10:1.You are prolly gonna have to use a D dish piston of 10 cc's or above to keep compression @ a pump gas level.That cam is not a good choice for mostly stock motor.
I have purchased the can but it is still in box and can be swapped out. I am going for something a little over stock. Maybe 300 hp. What cam do you recommend?
Old 08-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

You really can't pick a cam until you have all of your parts & build plan decided on.What type of vehicle & how is it gonna be used?Street/Strip?Daily driver? The weight & rear gear,transmission?If your doing a plain stock rebuild,you will need to stay relatively mild on your cam choice,or,you will have to start doing headwork,higher stall convertor,etc.You can't build your motor around a cam.You pick a cam to suit your motor & it's usage.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

You should be close to 300 HP with a fresh motor,headers,& the intake you have & a 650 carb.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:23 PM

That 400 cube engine should/could be built to a very fun and nice 360+ hp engine.
Start with the heads(all engines start with the heads) Wouldnt worry about gears with a mild 400,the tires will spin,,,,
Because you cheapie rebuild went south,what would make you happy?
smooth running daily driver or tire melting beast or ,,,,,something else?
Old 08-10-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerZ71 View Post
You really can't pick a cam until you have all of your parts & build plan decided on.What type of vehicle & how is it gonna be used?Street/Strip?Daily driver? The weight & rear gear,transmission?If your doing a plain stock rebuild,you will need to stay relatively mild on your cam choice,or,you will have to start doing headwork,higher stall convertor,etc.You can't build your motor around a cam.You pick a cam to suit your motor & it's usage.
I am not trying to build around cam at all. I know my build plan and thought I stated it. I am pretty much stock with headers, rpm intake and a 700 trans with 3:42 gears. It is going in a 1983 elcamino. Daily driver with some passing ability and quick take offs. No racing ever. I also thought this was a mild cam. The cam that we took out of it was a crane 292 cam. It ran like a scalded dog in my old camaro. The cam was too rusted to put back in and I wanted more mild but I guess I didn't make the right choice.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

That's why it's important to give all the details.You said a mostly stock or mild rebuild.That cam is not really radical.It's just that stock heads wouldn't accommodate that much lift.If your heads are already set up for a high lift cam & your springs & parts are good,that's a different story.I'm not familiar w/ the specs on a 292.Do you know the specifics of your heads?Casting#,have they been decked,etc.What compression were you running?Were your previous pistons also dish?Do know off hand the specs of your previous cam?

Last edited by jokerZ71; 08-10-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.