400 Small Block Crank - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 11:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It the 509 block

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2008, 11:47 PM

Last photo:

Should be a good pc. Just FYI.......picked this up from nastyz28.com and has been posted on here before, as well.

I work at a GM foundry. We make engine blocks, heads & cranks.

The numbers you are talking about (010, 020) are only sand core identification numbers. The 010 is a side core for a small block chevy, and it does not guarantee that the block is a 4 bolt or not. Most were 4 bolt blocks, but some 2 bolts were built with 010 side cores, or whatever side core was available. The 010 designation has nothing to do with metallurgy
Old 11-01-2008, 11:53 PM

Hello to all

Hello all,
I am the second party involved with this project. As my partner stated, we are in need of " opions". We are well aware of what to look out for, and respect your smiles and snickers towards us.
The issue of money seems to have come up a few times. I personally am well aware of what quality costs. Yes, we are trying to achive great performance, And we are attempting to controll a budget. The questions were asked, but there has been more neggativity, and frowns at are project then actuall help.
I am 23 years old, highly educated, but not in this field of work. If my assumptions are correct, Those that have replied are most lickely much older and wiser. But I should also assume that I (we) would recive support and kuddos for even attempting this feat. So thank you kindly for your critique. You know who you are.

Back to the subject matter. Besides Keith Black.030 pistons flat tops, eagle 5.7 rods, reground crank, proline bearings, hyd camshaft, timing chain cloyes, h.v. oil pump, new oil pan, and new heads. What else can we do other than a rev limiter, to keep this motor intact?
I want an honest 500hp on the motor. That is the goal. It can be done. I can give two ****s about money or time. I'm asking for knowledge, thats all. Not what its gonna cost, or that maybe we are over our heads.
Im am attempting to put this in a 88 rs camaro. 3025lbs of car. even with 400hp, the power to weight distrabution should put us around the mid 12s.

Thank you for your time. If you dont have an answer. Just tell us you dont know. be honest with yourself.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:03 AM

Last photo:

Be careful with the KB pistons and make sure you get the ring gap right......eagle H beam or I beam rods?...........proline bearings?............probably don't need an HV pump..........have you thought about solid cams, instead of hyd.?
Old 11-02-2008, 12:15 AM

Last photo:

its a 2 bolt main, and i have heard every were that the 010 and 020 deals with the metal used to make the block, and here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01537.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	33847   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01538.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	33848   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01546.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	33849   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01542.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	33850  
Old 11-02-2008, 12:33 AM
uninteresting default message

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: A couple of pics of the car
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If you want 400 HP go with the normal stuff for SBC performance it is easily achivable with 406 cubes. If you try to streatch to 500HP you might want to consider a new block that is designed for it that is all I was trying to tell you, sorry for the confusion.
IMO a SBC 400 casting is not a good platform for a 500HP motor + a 250 shot Maybe a huge maybe if it had splayed billit caps and the block mag'd perfect and it was filled.
I would either look into what you want a little more or wait and spring for a Dart or Bowtie block.
400 to 450 HP very easy with a 406 and a small budget
Old 11-02-2008, 12:36 AM

Last photo:

ok, well i like i said before, i know a guy who would trade blocks already built for the power, and all that. but i wondering if it would be a good trade or not??? is the block i have worth anything, like rarer or anything??
Old 11-02-2008, 12:39 AM

Last photo:

Because the 400 block was built for 10 years they are becoming harder to find for sure.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:44 AM

Last photo:

so would you say a trade for a block that is already built for my original is a good idea or...??
Old 11-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

For that kind of power to live you need beef in the block, try a stock BBC if you want to save some cash. Like everyone else has told you for that kind of power to live in a 400SBC you need to fill the block or go aftermarket.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:47 AM

Last photo:

What has been done to the other block and what are its numbers? have you had any of these checked by a machine shop? It could be cracked and he knows it that's why he wants to trade a slightly built block for a fresh start? look for core shift on both also
Old 11-02-2008, 12:49 AM

thank you

thanks for the imfo.
Im not gonna put that big of shot on it. Maybe 75 shot at launch and 125 in second.
i like the hyd roller.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:55 AM

Last photo:

I think your cam is a hyd/flat not a roller
Old 11-02-2008, 05:42 AM

Last photo:

500 should live ok it's that shot that bothers me because you are on the ragged edge at 500.The casting is just to thin It may work for a while but you could probably pick up close to 40 hp with a dart block alone because of better wall stiffness.You said money wasn't an issue so go dart, no eagles buy some olivers or carrilo's for a few bucks more and she will live a nice long time.The simple truth is comparing eagles to oliver etc. is like saying Walmart tools are as good as snap on because they look the same.It just ain't so again this is just my opinion but I would rather see you spend a little more now and enjoy your ride as save a little now and pay later.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:22 AM
this hobby is expensive!

pushin that kind of power in that car calls for a serious drivetrain. a built 700r4 isnt a bad trans but i dont care what anyone says a glide is the way to go with a bad *** drive shaft and then the rear end. them camaro rear ends were made for that suffocated 305 they had in them. youll need some serious rubber too with those horses and the nos on top of it.

im building a 383 with eagle forged rotating assembly and a comp cams xtreme energy camshaft with dart cast iron 2.02 valve 64cc heads hydralic roller cam. edelbrock airgap intake. 2000-2200 stahl and a 3.73 gear with some wide rubbers behind me. thats going in a pickup...a big 62 chevy longbed....or maybe a nove or early chevelle if i find one fore a decent price. im looking at around 7-8 grand for a motor trans and rearend just for a street car. now thats just a skeleton idea of a motor and stuff i thought up with some help on here of course and other sources. took me 4 months of reading and about 5 million questions to everyone i talked to about stroker motors on the street to come up with this...the block is still sitting on a stand next to a 71 454 im tossing ideas around for. they are both untouched and taking up garage space. sounds like you got plans for a radical motor and a lot of fun...in my opinion go for it. if john forces daughter can race that radical *** car on tv why cant we build wild small blocks?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.