Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 400 small block swap trans torque converter
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage9scorpio View Post
thts what the dude I spoke wit @ Jegs mentioned. something along those lines. what does tht mean about the spline shaft and 350. can I have the transmission shop down the building from my job do tht somehow so I could use a normal torque converter. excuse me if I sound weird about the subject but I know extremly little about this part here.
It's doubtful the input shaft has been changed to a TH350 spline, that's not a routine thing to do.

You'll need to look at the input shaft to see if it's a PG or what, but like I said, most likely it's a PG input that will use a PG torque converter. The PG splines are a lot coarser than the TH350 splines- IIRC 17 splines for the PG and 30 for the TH350.

That said, are you sure you want to use a PG in the first place? They're not a good match for a normal-to-heavy vehicle. The torque of the 400 will help some, but they're just not a good tranny for most applications IMO.