Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 400 small block swap trans torque converter
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage9scorpio View Post
okay so I found a powerglide tc off cl thts lightly used for $ 75. the only thing is. will this converter with and estimated 2500-2800 stall be enough for the 400? the car is light maybe right around 3300 with me in it. the powerglide has been in the car since I purchased it. and a powerglide is cool with me. when I go 2 the track and run grudge matches I like the consistency of the one gear shift. its a streetcar/highway cruiser tht sees about 40 roundtrip miles back n forth 2 work daily
what happens if there isn't enough stall?
Well, more torque, more weight, higher gear ratio = more stall from the same converter and vice versa.

In your case bigger engine w/torque = more stall but less weight = less stall. So maybe they'll cancel each other out. lol But there's no way I could say from here if the 25-2800 rpm stall estimate you got will be right without trying it first to see.

BTW, most companies rate their TC behind a mild small block unless otherwise noted. The same tc behind a bigger torquier engine will stall higher.