400 small block swap trans torque converter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 06:59 AM
Banned

Wiki Edits: 0

400 small block swap trans torque converter

I have a rebuilt 400 small block. the problem I think I am about to run inti is trying to put this motor on the powerglide trans that I have. I believe the flexplate may b different as well as if the bellhousing will match or if I need to change it. can some help out with some info on this swap and matching to this trans.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage9scorpio View Post
I have a rebuilt 400 small block. the problem I think I am about to run inti is trying to put this motor on the powerglide trans that I have. I believe the flexplate may b different as well as if the bellhousing will match or if I need to change it. can some help out with some info on this swap and matching to this trans.
The Powerglide will fit the SBC 400 engine you have. The flexplate's torque converter bolt pattern may or may not work w/the Powerglide torque converter, so check it to see. The torque converter has to be for the Powerglide unless the PG has an aftermarket TH350/TH400 spline input installed.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned

thts what the dude I spoke wit @ Jegs mentioned. something along those lines. what does tht mean about the spline shaft and 350. can I have the transmission shop down the building from my job do tht somehow so I could use a normal torque converter. excuse me if I sound weird about the subject but I know extremly little about this part here.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
thts what the dude I spoke wit @ Jegs mentioned. something along those lines. what does tht mean about the spline shaft and 350. can I have the transmission shop down the building from my job do tht somehow so I could use a normal torque converter. excuse me if I sound weird about the subject but I know extremly little about this part here.
It's doubtful the input shaft has been changed to a TH350 spline, that's not a routine thing to do.

You'll need to look at the input shaft to see if it's a PG or what, but like I said, most likely it's a PG input that will use a PG torque converter. The PG splines are a lot coarser than the TH350 splines- IIRC 17 splines for the PG and 30 for the TH350.

That said, are you sure you want to use a PG in the first place? They're not a good match for a normal-to-heavy vehicle. The torque of the 400 will help some, but they're just not a good tranny for most applications IMO.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Banned

okay so I found a powerglide tc off cl thts lightly used for $ 75. the only thing is. will this converter with and estimated 2500-2800 stall be enough for the 400? the car is light maybe right around 3300 with me in it. the powerglide has been in the car since I purchased it. and a powerglide is cool with me. when I go 2 the track and run grudge matches I like the consistency of the one gear shift. its a streetcar/highway cruiser tht sees about 40 roundtrip miles back n forth 2 work daily
what happens if there isn't enough stall?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:04 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
okay so I found a powerglide tc off cl thts lightly used for $ 75. the only thing is. will this converter with and estimated 2500-2800 stall be enough for the 400? the car is light maybe right around 3300 with me in it. the powerglide has been in the car since I purchased it. and a powerglide is cool with me. when I go 2 the track and run grudge matches I like the consistency of the one gear shift. its a streetcar/highway cruiser tht sees about 40 roundtrip miles back n forth 2 work daily
what happens if there isn't enough stall?
Well, more torque, more weight, higher gear ratio = more stall from the same converter and vice versa.

In your case bigger engine w/torque = more stall but less weight = less stall. So maybe they'll cancel each other out. lol But there's no way I could say from here if the 25-2800 rpm stall estimate you got will be right without trying it first to see.

BTW, most companies rate their TC behind a mild small block unless otherwise noted. The same tc behind a bigger torquier engine will stall higher.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post

BTW, most companies rate their TC behind a mild small block unless otherwise noted. The same tc behind a bigger torquier engine will stall higher.
thanks 4 the heads up on tht.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:14 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
thanks 4 the heads up on tht.
Now obviously that doesn't hold true w/small diameter high stall units. This is for the street TC range, =/> 11" stuff mainly.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.