Hot Rod Forum banner

400 turbo weird leak!

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Crosley 
#1 ·
I have a rebuilt 70 Chevelle 400 turbo, new GM Corvette 1800 stall converter, B&M clutches, shift kit. If I drive the car it doesn't leak or use the B&M trick shift fluid, when I park the car it doesn't leak fluid for five days. On the fifth or sixth day it leaks about a Quart of expensive fluid on the gsarage floor! What the hell causes this? Mike [/LIST] :confused: [/LIST]

#4 ·
No auto trans expert, but I remember Powerglides doing this quite a bit. I think it may be an over full condition. The seal on the coverter may be going bad on you and when air gets in the converter it burps out the excess fluid. The dipsick you have may be incorrect and the excess is comming out the breather vent in the top of the trans or the govenor cover.

Does it shift fine with the lower level of fluid?

#5 ·
I wouldn't worry about the Torque Converter of or the Front Seal. After several days, most of the fluid will drain back into the pan. Most of the elements in the trans will eventually drain back into the pan when not in use. This is why you check ATF level while the engine is running. I would check the dipstick tube as previously mentioned. ATF can travel far so the drip might not be the leak!

-Retired Tranny Guy

#7 ·
hey is it leaking were the converter goes into the pump
if it is the bushing could be worn or damaged an after a couple of days the seal is just worn out an then the fluid starts to leak out
i have seen this on rebuilt trans before cause of a manufacture error
either replace bushing or take trans back to place of purchase

#8 ·
An aid in chasing down a leak........ the spray cans of foot powder.

clean the tranny, spray some of the powder on.

After the fluid hits the floor check where it has run across the powder.

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.