400sbc build-up suggestions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2003, 08:37 AM
High Octane

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

400sbc build-up suggestions

Well winter is about here and it is time to consider a new engine setup and I am looking for suggestions.
Here is the whole deal:

I have a full bodied '66 Chevelle w/fiberglass hood.
400sbc .060 2-bolt
Cast crank .020
11:1 TRW forged flat tops
.519/.523 Hyd. flat tappet cam
1.6 Crane Roller Rockers
Dart Pro 1 Aluminum head 2.08/1.60 230cc runners
Weiand Team G intake w/2" raised plenum
Holley 750DP modified to flow 830-850cfm
Hooker Super Comp Headers 1-3/4" primaries
GM HEI w/MSD 6AL ignition
4.56 gears
4000 stall
I can't recall but I think the rods are stock

I'm currently running 7.50's in the 1/8th but I'm looking to run the 7.0 heads up class. This car will 'always' be street driven (at least on the weekend), so I'm looking where I might make a change in the engine set up to accomplish this.
I realize the bottom end needs consideration (new crank), but what about the strength of the 2-bolt?
Also considering a solid roller cam, so any suggestions on lift and duration would be helpful also.
Let me know what you think.

James

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2003, 09:11 AM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Hi James.
Far from a pro here, but I'll speak from experience and lots of talk n reading.
2 bolts in my oppinion are fine as long as your not reving them to unrealistic rpm"s. I had a pretty stock 350 with dart heads and a team G intake, 4 speed and 4.88 geared Chevelle and I drove the crap outa it with no problem. Average shift point was 6800 and Launched out at 5500-6000 rpm's.
As far as street driving, I just see the 11-1 comp as being to hi for pump gas. If you dont mind buying cam 2, then your ok.
In all it looks great for a combo. Just keep the revs to normal and you'll be fine. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 10-17-2003, 09:45 AM
High Octane

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by HemmiGremmie
Hi James.
Far from a pro here, but I'll speak from experience and lots of talk n reading.
2 bolts in my oppinion are fine as long as your not reving them to unrealistic rpm"s. I had a pretty stock 350 with dart heads and a team G intake, 4 speed and 4.88 geared Chevelle and I drove the crap outa it with no problem. Average shift point was 6800 and Launched out at 5500-6000 rpm's.
As far as street driving, I just see the 11-1 comp as being to hi for pump gas. If you dont mind buying cam 2, then your ok.
In all it looks great for a combo. Just keep the revs to normal and you'll be fine. HG
HemmieGremmie,

Man, you did rev the crap out of that thing! That's the way they out to be driven.
Actually what I listed is my current setup.
I either run AV gas (100 low lead) or a mix or 93 and AV. I also shift around 6200-6400rpm, and it's pulling the whole time. I just want more.

James
Old 10-17-2003, 12:17 PM

From what I have seen I would say that the 2 bolt 400's are stronger than the 4 bolts.

On the converter I suggest calling ATI and getting one of their tree master converters built for your car instead of using a off the shelf converter.... its a little pricey but its the best money I have spent on my car.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:56 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Are you sure that isn't too much stall? With that combo I would have guessed 3,200 stall would be optimum. 400 torque curves happen earlier on in the RPMs.

As an engine upgrade I would install a 250 hp NOS kit. 150 hp if you want a longer life out of it. That's the way to the cheapest extra horses you will get now.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:22 PM
High Octane

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by lluciano77
Are you sure that isn't too much stall? With that combo I would have guessed 3,200 stall would be optimum. 400 torque curves happen earlier on in the RPMs.

As an engine upgrade I would install a 250 hp NOS kit. 150 hp if you want a longer life out of it. That's the way to the cheapest extra horses you will get now.
lluciano77,

It is supposed to be a 4000rpm stall, but it is stalls more like 3200-3400rpm. This has been a great street/strip converter.
I have seriously considered nitrous, but I would certainly need to upgrade the bottom end I think. I believe a 150hp shot would certainly put me where I want to be.
Thanks for the input.
James
Old 10-18-2003, 08:04 AM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

I was new to cars and I gave it the riot act. It was fun. I bent one pushrod and a valve once, but I bought the heads bare and the guy who installed there inners put cheapo parts in it. Have fun and drive it like ya stole it. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 10-18-2003, 09:02 AM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

Id say stick with what you have and add Nitrous, its a very good combo, and I like it, a solid roller would definatly help, but since your driving it on the street, I wouldnt suggest it, low rpm is hard on roller lifters, if your car has a Ati-balloon plate on the converter by all mean's juice it off the line, that is if your drivetrain is up to it...Id say 6's should be easy w/150 shot..

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.