401 Magnum - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Captain Obvious

Wiki Edits: 0

401 Magnum

alright i'm just seeing what some opinions are on using a 401 magnum motor. to throw into a pulling truck. I know there are probably some better choices but do you think it'd be capable of doing well?

Mind you this is a Big Block V6 made by gmc.

Thanks for your opinions

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick_101
alright i'm just seeing what some opinions are on using a 401 magnum motor. to throw into a pulling truck. I know there are probably some better choices but do you think it'd be capable of doing well?

Mind you this is a Big Block V6 made by gmc.

Thanks for your opinions
GMC made some awesome V6s. One of the things I liked about them, and I don't know if it's an actual real-world advantage but I thought it was cool, is that they ran the spark plug wires down the inside of the head.

I ask in all innocence what's it's take to power a winning pulling truck. If low rev industrial strength grunt is needed, you may be on to something. I could be wrong, but a 400 cube V6 has got to have a rotating assembly that weighs something like Rhode Island.

I don't believe anyone makes the parts that will hold the thing together if you have to spin it fast to win truck pulls. You can now school me on truck pulls; low end grunt or high end ponies?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 PM

Last photo:

I'm working from memory, but I don't recall GMC calling the 401 a magnum. They produced other V6 engines like the 351 that where both non-magnums (351) and magnums (351M) but didn't the 401 just come out as the magnum?
Old 04-11-2012, 01:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedaxle
I'm working from memory, but I don't recall GMC calling the 401 a magnum. They produced other V6 engines like the 351 that where both non-magnums (351) and magnums (351M) but didn't the 401 just come out as the magnum?
I intended to say I believe the 401 was just the 401. Other GMC engines were called magnums.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:25 AM

Last photo:

I remember a GMC V12 (2 6ers together) industrial engine a friend of mines dad had in a barn. I wanted it badly, no idea what the heck for. It probably weighs as much as a medium sized elephant.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
I remember a GMC V12 (2 6ers together) industrial engine a friend of mines dad had in a barn. I wanted it badly, no idea what the heck for. It probably weighs as much as a medium sized elephant.
GMC 702. It wasn't really two sixes. It had a single block and crank. And you're right; you need an engine stand that can support an elephant if you want to rebuild one of these things.

GMC looked at the parts in the bin after putting together a lot of 351s and decided to go for it. Valves and cylinder heads and the like. I'm not an engineer, but I don't see how bolting together two sixes would produce something that could hold up under the stresses it would likely see.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.