View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I recommend that the engine be turned a couple revolutions after aligning the gears to see that the alignment of the dots on the gears is correct.

This can be easily done either just to check the gear alignment or during the course of setting the valves- all it takes is one close look and you know if itís right or not after turning the engine over. This is Timing Set 101 stuff!

That is what I do as the norm. I also like another tech to look . Another set of eyes does two things. It gives a good second check for verification, and helps dispell any question later on if a running problem arises with the engine.
I allways have a second tech look at marks on timing belt driven engines, they can be pretty elusive at times, with the confines body/framework making it difficult to see the marks clearly or squarely.
At any rate sometimes it is best to go get a cup of coffee, and come back in 5 minutes, turn the engine over look again, giving the eyes a break. Sometimes thats all it takes to see it clearly.