403 SBO 4a heads - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 01:04 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 View Post
The 403 olds is no different from building a 400 sbc, except that it has windowed mains and so you need to keep the rpms below 6k if you have plans to abuse it. It has a huge bore and with the right heads (the bbo heads will put you ahead of the sbo in everything except static compression) it will make great power. He's not building an all out dragster and with careful consideration to how much he spends on his top end he could easily build an engine that will outpower anything chevy that displaces 5.7L (gen or gen II) at a similar cost. It's not hard, just takes careful thought and patience.
since he's keeping RPM low a SBO head can be made to perform better than a BBO IMO. Not saying either won't work but as we both know under 500hp a SBO head is quite capable.

If prepped right either can make great power though.

Better than LT4 head- well that's another debate.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ap72 For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (11-25-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 03:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Sure you couldnt get an LT1 or LT4 for the same money. Even a good first gen sbc. The olds motor is junk and will never make big power, just suck up cash and never make you happy. A chevy motor would be very cheap and make more power than the olds for alot less money probably enough to offset the price of the swap and chevy style trans.

Any pontiac engine will bolt in without changing the trans but if it needs to be built chevy may still come in cheaper.
Here we go. SOMEBODY had post about how the almighty SBC is the ONLY solution to any problem...

I do agree, even as an Olds guy, that a Pontiac 455 in a Pontiac just feels better.

And you're right. Olds motors are worthless crap. Please send them all to me so I can rid the world of this menace...
Old 11-25-2012, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the input guys i went ahead and went with the 455 SD that my uncle let me have it came out of a 1973 T/A. do you guys know if it will fit right in without too many modifications and if the transmission will line up? the tranny is a th350
Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 TA View Post
Thanks for all the input guys i went ahead and went with the 455 SD that my uncle let me have it came out of a 1973 T/A. do you guys know if it will fit right in without too many modifications and if the transmission will line up? the tranny is a th350
Trans will bolt up but usally use the turbo 400 for the 455. You may need to swap the flex plate. But the 350 will work it may not last well if the sd is in good runnign condition. It can make a ton of power.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Trans will bolt up but usally use the turbo 400 for the 455. You may need to swap the flex plate. But the 350 will work it may not last well if the sd is in good runnign condition. It can make a ton of power.
yea i heard the engine was really good one of the last great muscle car engines (i read that off a magazine somewhere lol). did the 400 come on the 73 TA? if so i can just pull it off of one of the 73s he has and also was the th400s available in auto?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 TA View Post
yea i heard the engine was really good one of the last great muscle car engines (i read that off a magazine somewhere lol). did the 400 come on the 73 TA? if so i can just pull it off of one of the 73s he has and also was the th400s available in auto?
Yep i think you could get a 4 speed that year with the 455 but very rare. That would be a car to keep numbers matching. But the auto was most common.

The 400 in the ta is also a good performance. Model so it will shift good and respond well to updates.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.