406! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 07:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

406!

I am building a 74 c3 stingray... all new interior with custom chrome, Guldstrand suspension, Mako style no seam body, blk on blk....
the motor: a 406 from a 400 block i found on craigslist that Russ Pottinger is building for me from Bishop & Buehl out in Baldwin Park, Ca.
I need some input>>>
What heads?
What cam?
What intake?
Pistons?
ETC....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

You should repost this in the engine forum or get a mod to move it for you.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to also post the intended usage of the vehicle as well as the gear ratio and tire height as well as trans....budget ??? etc
Old 04-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Welcome to the site JCBand. HalfOunce has some good advice.

Lots of info and opinions here. To get the most out of the site check out the Knowledge Base and use the search function for quick answers to your questions. As well check out the Project Journals for info and inspiration. Glad to have you here and enjoy the site.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:56 AM

Corvete 406

Sounds like a cool project. You need to work out how much you want to spend your rear diff gears and tyre size what trans your going to run ie OD or a TH 400ect. If you build it to make lots of tourque you can retain your standard rear diff gears TH 400 or muncie with 1.1 top gear and probaly cruise at 2500 rpm at 60mph. If you over cam it your going to need lower diff gears and then youl be at over 3000rpm at 60mph a real pain in the *** on a long trip. So then you need an overdrive trans (th700,tremec) to get back to lower cruising rpm. See how all this adds more $$ very quickly. Heres how I would build the engine if I had a fair bit of cash . Start with some AFR 195 eliminator heads Pn 1038 72cc these will make incredable touque and easily flow heaps for top end power. Deck the block to 0 fit trw-L2489F forged pistons should get you arnd 10.1 CR with a 0.041 thick fel pro gasket.Either an Edelbrock perf RPM intake or a Victor jnr. An 800cfm edelbrock carb ( the manifold and carb cam choice comes down to personal preference and wether you want to sacrifice tourque for more hp). These afr heads will give you heaps of scope wether you chase tourque or high rpms. Id go for a hyd roller cam from Crane with a 112 lobe sep angle with arnd 230 deg at0.050 on inlet arnd 236-240 at0.050 on exhst with arn 0.550 lift. The roller cam makes for a buitifal spread of power from prob 1000-6500rpm. Pn crn-119661. It will have a mild lopey idle with explosive off idle responce pull like a school boy and scream to 6500 rpm before you know it,return fairly decent milage. You should get arnd 480 real ftlbs at arnd 4000 rpm and make close to 480 real hp arnd 6000rpm. And this puppy would prob crank over 400ftlb at 2500rpm. If you plucked that into a car with standard th400 ( no higher stall) and 3.1 rear diff gears youd still go like **** off a shovel because youve got all that fat spread of touque,and remember a 3 spd trans realy pulls the engine revs back on changes wich is wear youl walk all over the high rpm high peak hp cars as their car will die on the changes as it got now tourque. Remember your going to need excelent machineing, good rods ,oil system ,ballancing ect.This is just an idea for an engine you can drive every day reliably ect. you could go for a bigger hyd roller arnd 245@0.050 or a solid roller and make more HP and it still would make resnomble tourque as your dealing with 400 inches but then youd need stall converters,lower diff gears ect. Hope it all works out cheers.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:40 PM

GREAT ADVICE! -- Yes it has a turbo 400 transmission

I'm going to have read this advice over and over to "get" it but.... THANK YOU! Very cool.

QQ: Anything i need to do with the transmission before installation?
Old 04-29-2007, 12:18 AM

Dont know a lot about autos but know that a TH400 is an awesome strong trans. Posibly rebuild it with a B@m rebuild kit I think they have extra clutches ,shift kit ect at quite a reasnomble price wich alows it to be quite a bit stronger. Depending on how much cam you give it Id go with a 2000-2500rpm stall if you have arnd 230 deg @0.050. Or you could leave the stock converter in till you have the funds as the 406 wil stil make good low rpm touque with 230deg on cam. Stick with the TH400 as it will handle the most amount of power for the least money (heaps stronger than a TH350 or TH700). Now that you are running a TH400 with a 1.1 top gear Id go with a rear diff ratio of arnd 3.08.1 that will put you arnd 2600rpm@ 60 mph with 26.5 od tyres(eg 295/50/15). And remember your corvette is fairly light so that 406 with a cam arnd 230 deg@0.050 will easily make the tourque to pull those high rear gears. Now what engine parts do you curently have, what heads do you have at the moment? If you were intending getting brand new alloy ones from Edelbrock,trickflo ect for arnd $1000 spend an extra $350 on AFR Eliminator 195 heads they easily flow the most for a 195cc intake port and this 195cc port size is what will make your high touque dont get big 210-220cc port sizes as these afr heads will probaly outflow a lot of these big heads to. Or if you only want to spend a litle try GM vortec heads but then youl need a vortec intake to. Either way your going to need decent heads to feed this 406. Tell me all the parts you have for engine and how much you plan to spend. cheers
Old 04-30-2007, 01:18 PM

Ok...

I have a set of 882 smog heads which Russ has offered to:

The most cost effective way of doing this on a tight budget with the least amount of surprises, and back and forth dialogue would to build it with your 882 smog heads.
Hot Tank, and Mag Heads 45.00
Valve Job 175.00
Surface if needed 65.00
Valve Guide Work
if needed 130.00
Valves if needed 5.00

Or because he is a Brodix rep he has offered me a deal on a set. This IS tempting so i am attempting to scrounge up the cash by selling off stuff in the garage...LOL.

I also have a rebuilt set of 305 heads-fresh, a 350 block, 2 stock intakes, headers, stock exhaust, 2 quadrajet carbs, 2 stock radiators- 1 new, and am going today to finish the arrangements for the painting which will be completed after the engine install... I also got all the bolt on stuff, pumps, hoses, starters (1 delco/1 after market chrome which took a *****) etc...

I got about 2G's and need a cam/lifters, pistons/rings, rods, gaskets, annnnnd maybe a:

Set of heads... do I

a) Go with the Vortecs

b) Go with the Brodix because i can get a good deal (if so which ones?)

c) Rebuild the 882 smog heads...

d) AFR 195's

all that is left is an intake... my choice of head will determine the way to go. I have 2 stock ones on the shelf

J
Old 05-03-2007, 01:27 AM

Sorry a bit slow replying have being away for a few days. Those brodix heads sound like a good way to go. Remember that going with these heads alows you to use any type of original sb chev intake that are a dime a dozen at swap meets were you could pick up a Edlbrk rpm or victor jr manifold cheap. If you go vortec heads you will be up for a new manifold as they arnt common and i dought your chances of finding one at a swap meet cheap. Personaly I wouldnt bother with the original manifold either it will strangle your good heads especialy feeding 400ci. Looking in the summit catoulouge I see Brodix IK 180cc and IK 200cc in the $1050 range with 64cc combustion chambers. Brodix race rite 180cc and 200cc with 67cc combustion chambers in the$1350 range. Ive never used brodix heads but get head flow specs before buying and compare the flow numbers on both inlet and exhaust in the 0.1-0.4 inch range (were your valve spends most of its time) of the 180cc port and 200cc port heads its not un common for the smaller port heads to out flow the bigger ones in the 0.1-0.3 inch range. And compare the cheaper IK series to race rite series port size for size and how much extra flow the extra $300 gets you. Id prob go with the 200cc heads as being a 400 the ports should not be to big and will still have awesome tourque.If you went 180cc heads you would make incredable tourque but power could be shut down over 5000rpm. Also if you use 64cc combs chambers on a 400 your comp ratio will go sky high (to high for pump gas prob over 11.1) so youl need -16.2cc reverse dome pistons pn TRW-lw2606F ( your eng builder should be able to work this out) Since a Roller cam is prob out of question Id try one of Cranes new Z cams (hydrolicflat tappet)They are very high energy cams ie they open valve very quickly geting valve off its seat quick to give Air fuel mix a head start getting through those brodix heads. Id go with the CRN- 113542 should work well from 2000-6500rpm with 236deg @0.050 on inlet 244 on exhaust 0.491 lift just check the valve seat spring press compatiability of brodix heads to the cam recomendations. The Quadrajet will work awesome if its in good order and dialed in but youl need a better manifold . You will need an excelent ignition maybe a tricked up HEI but beware as lots of so called performance HEI start mucking around over 4500rpm. Youl also need a good fuel pump with nice big fuel lines, 1 3/4 headers withat least twin 2.5 inch exhaust cheers
Old 05-14-2007, 11:17 AM

Update!!!

Ok, Russ has approved the AFR 195 heads! Can you believe it? Cool. So now we are ordering them...

Btw:
My carb is a tricked out Rochester Quadrajet...
Old 05-14-2007, 11:25 PM

You wont be disapointed with the AFR heads youl make incredable touque and heaps of horspower. Have you picked your cam yet? You want to find an Edelbrock Rpm intake with a Quadrajet mounting flange or even a Victor although I dont know if they are available in a Quadrajet mounting flange. The victor wouldnt cost much tourque as youl have heaps of air speed with the 195cc ports feeding 406 cubes. Also these AFR heads have 8 mm valve stems, retainers ect wich are arnd 50 grams lighter than normal sb heads wich will allow for a better performing valve train especialy at higher revs. If you pick a cam arnd the 230-236@0.050 you wont be disapointed and get buy with the standard tourque converter and gearing. Good luck your engine builder seems to know his stuf let me know how you get on.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:08 AM

You ROCK!

Seriously... i can't thank you enough for your input.
Looking forward to someday meeting you. I will post the pics as soon as she is done. My other focus is the suspension and high speed cornering - C3's can be attuned for superior handling if done correctly, otherwise they stink.
The cam... is our next choice and the pistons, i think originally Russ had me down for SRP 4.155 pistons... do you know anything about these pistons?

Last edited by JCBand; 05-17-2007 at 12:21 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.