Hot Rod Forum banner

406 cam choices?

5K views 26 replies 4 participants last post by  LJM97Z 
#1 ·
Want to hear any feedback on what FT Hyd. or Solid cams some of you are running in a 406 sbc, I'm at 3200 lbs. with me, its a 78 cutlass, I tried a larger Chet Herbert FT Hyd. cam but it had way too much overlap & was rated for 11.5.1 compression, car didn't respond well & it was a bear to tune, I'm either looking at the comp XE line, possibly a Lunati, I'd go Hyd. roller but just can't afford it right now. Hers is the engine combo.

10.4 compression, 205 cranking pressure
Iron Eagle 200cc heads
RPM intake, 750dp
1.5/8 headers
HEI ignition

I have choices of these 2 converters.

10" 2800 stall or 10" 4200

9" with 3.70 gears, 28" tire, but also have 26" ET Streets.

#6 ·
Kindof wanting something that'll pull good to around 5600 5800 or so, maybe i need a cam in the 230s on Dur. @50, I have run comp cams XE284Hs before with good results in both SB & BB, but they were Mopars.

I don't know what the deal is on the one 510 cam, It must have alot of overlap, It called for 11.5 compression, so that might explain why it didn't run right.

I just recently installed a 9" with 3.70 gears, i've really noticed a difference over the 4.11s, now my 4200 stall seems a bit much.

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
So your saying even the small cam should advance 5*? I have the int. timing on this cam at 22* & 36* total, The larger cam i had the dist. locked out, plus i advanced it 4*, It ran better but still not great, The low speed/idle was the worst, It only pulled 5-6 inches vacuum which i though was low, I'm sure still needed more advance, plus i think the timing needed to come in earlier also, I ran a 3.5 PV, When i 1st. got it running to break in the cam it was a mess, I played hell getting it started, It acted like the timing was really slow but it was up there, so that was telling me it must have been way off.

I need to go back to the drawing board on the larger cam, In a couple of outings it pulled to 6800, thats a bit much IMO running stock rods/bolts,

#9 ·
maybe you should list the other components in your engine? carb size,intake style,headers primary tube size,exhaust system,ignition? maybe there are a lot of problems. Ive never had big issues with camshafts,put them in and go fast. I prefer solid lifters for many reasons,,, never had a cam that was too big

#10 · (Edited)
maybe you should list the other components in your engine? carb size,intake style,headers primary tube size,exhaust system,ignition?
Didn't you see my 1st. post??

I normally don't have issues with camshafts either, just line up the dots & go fast, Now with this little cam i did run some 7.9s in the 1/8 shifting at 51-5200, my best MPH was 108, so its not to shabby, but it ran slower with the larger cam when i'm sure it should have ran better.

#12 ·
The HEI is the Procomp, I know not the best, but it has not missed a lick, even at 6800 rpm, 1.5/8 headers i know are a bit small for the 406, The springs are like new, there doubles with pressures at 132 seat, 320 at .500 lift., It IS a tire fryer no doubt, just doesn't put down the ETs i think it should, my main concern was the cam (510) not perf. well, Its like I'm wondering if its a flow in the positioning of the key when it was built, I just lined up the dots on the little cam & it runs pretty good, pulls 16 inches vacuum (in gear). The 510 only got about 6 inches when i'm sure it should have been around 9-10.

#15 ·
The car looks like it is performing as it should.If that is your E.T, with mufflers,its actually decent.

what I would check,or look to improve:
Do you get enough fuel at the end of a 1/4 mile race?

I believe a victor junior and 850 D.P. would add another 3-4 M.P.H.

If the manifold/carb/fuel delivery added 5 m.p.h. then,,,I would use the hooker 1 3/4 primary pipe headers.
if that helped,then I would change cams after looking what helped the most

#18 ·
The MPH in the 1/8 was 87 at best, I'm at the point of just running a 100 shot & call it good, but i'll need to re-install my 2800 stall, the 4200 just seems a bit much with a 3.70 gear.

Speaking of 3.70 gears, theres a few well in the 11s with these gears in there G bodys with 406s.

#19 ·
It WAS trapping around 5900 with the 4.11s & a 28" MT DR, I did have the car weighed on a reputable scale at the local rock cuarry plant, I wasn't too surprized of its weight, Its a bare bones cutlass, not the fancy ones, I'm only 145 lbs., so i'm a light weight, It would be nice if the car was heavier, it would explain its slower times, Now i did calculate converter slippage & it was saying 12%, that seems a bit high, I'm getting somewhat at my wits ends with this combo, Its like what the heck, I know it should run better but it doesn't, It feels like it just runs out of steam in high gear, it just doesn't pull, but on other accasions it seems better, maybe its fuel, but i'm running a 110 pump with 8 lbs. pressure, the fuel line is all good, so is the tank.

#21 ·
I don't see the intake makeing much difference, & the carb was changed & it likes the 750dp, I'm not going to stat throwing more money at it changes things, I've been told by many the RPM intake is more then fine.

I think there is a problem & i just can't pin point it.

#26 ·
If it was my car,I would use a vic jr intake,850 H.P.,headers would have 1 3/4 primaries(or 1 3/4 primaries stepped to 1 7/8),I would have 1/2 fuel line from tank to regulator, if it was driven long distance I would leave the gears you have,when you get more serious about race I would look at trans/gear combo ,,,now spend some time on suspension, alignment,pinion angle,chasis height,weight transfer(shocks and springs) unsprung weight

#27 · (Edited)
They are the 200cc & i'm sure there the platinums, I'm really leaning towards the XE284H or 285HL, I've ran that cam in 2 different engines & it really worked great, tuning was easy also.

When i calculated the converter, It ran a 105 that night, so it came out to 12% with a 28" tire, The tires are 275/60/15 MT DRs. When it ran 108 it came up 10%, I'm hoping i'm not running through the converter.

When i 1st. put the car together i was running a stock converter with the little cam, Tires were 255/60/15s (27"), In the beginning the car pulled really strong in high gear.

The mufflers are slow masters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.