406 Engine Build...What do you think? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhmurphy View Post
Are you two dating?
Someone call the ambulance, we've just been burned!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 PM

No burn intended just want you to tell me why I have NFC? Lol and what you would do too make this build not a "NFC" build...in all seriousness
Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
All joking aside, you guys really think this build is junk?
Other than having to much compression, mystery cylinder heads, too small of a carb, and not knowing that the rod does NOT affect the stroke it's not too bad.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I just posted so I could see how accurate these forums are and if I would really wanna join...so that's why I posted this to see how many people would chime in about compression and say it wouldn't run 15 minutes or idle smooth...looks like my test is done
Did you hear the one about the TROLL that walks into a bar with his head up his *** ........

Tom
Old 12-14-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
Other than having to much compression, mystery cylinder heads, too small of a carb, and not knowing that the rod does NOT affect the stroke it's not too bad.
The 6 inch rod pushes the piston slightly higher in the bore compared to a 5.7 rod...its not .3 higher like people might think i meant, the piston used for the 6 inch rod is slightly higher in the bore when at tdc compare to the 5.7 rod/piston and I will agree with the too small of carb...heads are made by blueprint engines...195cc intake runners, 2.02 and 1.60 valves, 64cc combustion chambers...and why do you think my compression is too high?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 PM

Grabbed a cold one,and hoping this thread gets busy,betting tech is also monitoring
Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
Grabbed a cold one,and hoping this thread gets busy,betting tech is also monitoring
Just give me your opinion please about why my compression is too high? Do u mean too high for pump gas? Or too high for my cam? Just looking for help and not looking to post jokes...I apologize for my earlier comments if they offended anyone who is part of the hot rod forum and part of this post
Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
I'm with Mr. Minter, I don't see a 14cc dish piston for the 400 block from Probe. If you have such a piston on hand and intend to use them with 64cc chambers, the SCR will be on the order of 10.6:1.

With a 6" rod, the wrist pin will be pushed up into the oil ring, something that I will not build. You won't see a nickel's difference in performance between a 5.7" rod and a 6" rod and you don't have to crutch the ring land to prevent snagging.
Do you not think that a 6 inch rod will reduce angularity? Which will in turn put less stress on the rod and also won't the rod spend more time at TDC compared to a 5.7 rod? Which would in turn create better high rpm efficiency?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:07 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
No burn intended just want you to tell me why I have NFC? Lol and what you would do too make this build not a "NFC" build...in all seriousness
The rod doesn't affect the stroke one damn bit, the heads may have been purchased from blueprint, but they do not cast heads- find out where the heads were cast and what they are, likely offshores but that doesn't mean they won't work there are some good offshore heads. A lot of people also sell World or Dart heads under their own name so it could be those too.

the compression is too high for pump gas. it can be made to run buy pulling out timing, running it cold, and running it a hair rich, but it will be down on power compared to if you ran less compression and tuned it right.

Also, on a side note, while thumper cams are sold purely for sound and they do deliver on that respect, they have way too much exhaust duration for most heads. Oddly enough though the smaller one will work well with older heads like camel humps as the overlap can help make the most out of a restrictive intake port- at 195cc's your ports are likely not restrictive until the upper RPM's though and the excessive overlap is costing you power and probably giving you some major reversion at low rpm.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:16 PM

I think the rod does effect stroke bc a 6 inch rod compared to a 5.7 will reduce piston velocity which will make it able to run slightly higher compression...the castings are made overseas but blueprint does the valve job and puts their parts on them...they claim it's their own casting
Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 PM

And I've seen this same cam in a 350 with 4 valve relief pistons (stock) that had 64cc combustion chambers, 2.02 1.6 valves, and not sure but I believe he had 416 casting heads built to those specs, and he had a 670 avenger and a high rise single plane intake, and his motor ran very smooth and you could rev it to 6000 pretty easy...sounds crazy but I'm not joking...he had 3.73 gears and a 700r4...pretty impressive for a cheap build
Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
I think the rod does effect stroke bc a 6 inch rod compared to a 5.7 will reduce piston velocity which will make it able to run slightly higher compression...the castings are made overseas but blueprint does the valve job and puts their parts on them...they claim it's their own casting
Well, you can think it all you want but you're wrong. It doesn't affect it a little, or kinda, or slightly, or a lot, or maybe, or anything else. It doesn't affect it at all.

As for piston velocity it does affect it SLIGHTLY, plot out the piston travel though and you'll see how little that "slightly" is. It will help a little on induction but its not a miracle worker.

Track the casting numbers and marking to find out who/what cast those heads. There are some good offshore castings, and a lot of crappy ones too.

BTW, are the heads aluminum or iron? Have a picture of the chamber?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 PM

Aluminum and here is he part #H8002K...there is a forum somewhere and a blueprint manager shows the flow chart and tells about them...search "blueprint cylinder head reviews" on google
Old 12-14-2012, 10:03 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Well, after a quick look at those heads while they're not spectacular they're not too bad, and they could actually benefit from some valve deshrouding. that's good for you on two accounts. You can increase the marginal flow a little bit, AND by taking out a few cc's you can also drop your compression to something that is a bit more pump gas friendly allowing you to run a decent coolant temp, good carb tune, and optimal ignition timing.

Your power will come up across the board.

You don't need to get crazy so a grinder and a few reglite cartridge rolls should be enough, 3-4cc's can make a pretty big difference when you're right on the edge.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 PM

I may check into that! Thanks man...the reason I really wasn't worried about compression is bc my friend basically ran flat top pistons with 64cc chambered heads with 2.02/1.6 and the same cam I have and he was at 36* all in by 3000 rpm, he used 93 octane and it never showed signs of detonation...and his 350 motor really idled awesome and ran great...I know he had .39 compressed thickness gaskets...I'm taking your deshrouding idea into consideration and will talk to my machinist and see if he thinks I should do it...I appreciate your info

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.