406 Engine Build...What do you think? - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

So your machinist has been in the game for what,30 yrs??.

Do you seriously think these guy in terms of engine building,it is their first rodeo??

How about guys on here that are machinists??. What,do just discount or ignore their advise because they are providing on this forum??.

Me??. Well let's see.I started messing with cars when I was 10 and I am 65 now........hummm how many yrs is that??.We have in our race operation been in business for about 40 yrs and 20 of it has been a very successful national win in 9.90 cars where last count/lost count involved 17 different cars.

So what I am about to say next is abit harsh but very true.Your running between us and your machinist and it's you that doesn't have clue that needs to listen to the advise given and learn.Big boy pants now if you own any........

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 10:16 AM

406 Engine Build...What do you think?

I read the ad from the kit you bought on Ebay from Skip White. It does say it will have 10.3 compression ratio with 64cc heads. But to assemble the motor with the recommended amount of quench .035-.045 you would need to use a .015 head gasket. Nobody makes a .015 with a 4.165 bore for the 400 ci engine. The next available size is a .027 x 4.165 made by Cometic. With this gasket your quench will be .052 not ideal but will work. Your STATIC COMPRESSION RATIO will be 10.304 and your DYNAMIC EFFECTIVE COMPRESSION RATIO will be 9.051. This is too high to use pump gas. To use pump gas you need the DCR from 7.5-8.5. Here is an article that discusses Dynamic Compression Ratio. Dynamic CR
Old 12-15-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
I read the ad from the kit you bought on Ebay from Skip White. It does say it will have 10.3 compression ratio with 64cc heads. But to assemble the motor with the recommended amount of quench .035-.045 you would need to use a .015 head gasket. Nobody makes a .015 with a 4.165 bore for the 400 ci engine. The next available size is a .027 x 4.165 made by Cometic. With this gasket your quench will be .052 not ideal but will work. Your STATIC COMPRESSION RATIO will be 10.304 and your DYNAMIC EFFECTIVE COMPRESSION RATIO will be 9.051. This is too high to use pump gas. To use pump gas you need the DCR from 7.5-8.5. Here is an article that discusses Dynamic Compression Ratio. Dynamic CR
All kinds of people use the .015 gasket and trust me, it will run on 93 octane...believe all the articles you want, I'm going to put my money with my guy who doesn't have time for forums bc he is busy building engines...good day
Old 12-15-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post

Do you seriously think these guy in terms of engine building,it is their first rodeo??

How about guys on here that are machinists??. What,do just discount or ignore their advise because they are providing on this forum??.

Me??. Well let's see.I started messing with cars when I was 10 and I am 65 now........hummm how many yrs is that??.We have in our race operation been in business for about 40 yrs and 20 of it has been a very successful national win in 9.90 cars where last count/lost count involved 17 different cars.

So what I am about to say next is abit harsh but very true.Your running between us and your machinist and it's you that doesn't have clue that needs to listen to the advise given and learn.Big boy pants now if you own any........
Well Congrats on your wins and I'm done with this thread
Old 12-15-2012, 10:26 AM

I think you bought stuff and asked for opinions after the fact; then got mad because someone you know built something similar and it worked. But the fact of the matter is, you don't know it will work till you do it yourself. When you get this thing accually running then you can let us know if we know what we are talking about. But then, I guess we would have to take your word for it that you didn't change anything (heads, pistons etc.). Cuase, you've never fibbed to us before... Post #57
Old 12-15-2012, 10:30 AM

I never fibbed...the motor I talked about earlier was a friends 350
Old 12-15-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post

It's advice not advise and have a nice day
Old 12-15-2012, 11:03 AM

See this proves you don't know for sure what you are talking about, because all you can argue for sure on is spelling of advice not advise and argueing over the fact that you asked for opinions not help.

This is what you posted.

And also mister this motor has been running pretty good for the last 3 years and I never hear any pinging...I just posted so I could see how accurate these forums are and if I would really wanna join...so that's why I posted this to see how many people would chime in about compression and say it wouldn't run 15 minutes or idle smooth...looks like my test is done

So you said it was "this motor." Not "my friends motor."

But in post #66 You said, "I never fibbed...the motor I talked about earlier was a friends 350 "
Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 AM

406 Engine Build...What do you think?

When you finish your engine and get it running let us know what octane gas you end up using. By chance if it does have any problems with detonation take a look at Crowers mechanical roller cams. Find one with the intake valve closing at 50* this will bring your DCR down to an 8.2. Get a real cam instead of that thumpr that is all sound and show and no go. Check out this cam since you have the compression to use it. http://www.crower.com/camshafts/chev...-cam-277r.html

Last edited by cdminter59; 12-15-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Corrected url link
Old 12-15-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
When you finish your engine and get it running let us know what octane gas you end up using. By chance if it does have any problems with detonation take a look at Crowers mechanical roller cams. Find one with the intake valve closing at 50* this will bring your DCR down to an 8.2. Get a real cam instead of that thumpr that is all sound and show and no go. Check out this cam since you have the compression to use it. Camshafts | Connecting Rods | Roller Lifters | Rockers | Crankshafts | Pushrods | Clutches
I appreciate it man...and the thumper cam outdid 4 popular flat rapper cams made by comp if you can find the article but I wil look into your cam some
Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmwalker View Post
See this proves you don't know for sure what you are talking about, because all you can argue for sure on is spelling of advice not advise and argueing over the fact that you asked for opinions not help.

This is what you posted.

And also mister this motor has been running pretty good for the last 3 years and I never hear any pinging...I just posted so I could see how accurate these forums are and if I would really wanna join...so that's why I posted this to see how many people would chime in about compression and say it wouldn't run 15 minutes or idle smooth...looks like my test is done

So you said it was "this motor." Not "my friends motor."

But in post #66 You said, "I never fibbed...the motor I talked about earlier was a friends 350 "
Bc I didn't, my friends 350 runs great and I clarified that...you don't know what you are talking about, you would if you could understand that my compression will run on pump gas..."this" motor referred to my friends...
Old 12-15-2012, 11:18 AM

What do you mean you didn't. Those were direct quotes from your posts. I just coppied and pasted them to show you that did say it was your mortor not your friends.

So why did you join this forum?? To get opinions of your build? Or to prove that we don't know what we are talking about?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:19 AM

Also earlier a guy said my compression would be 10.6:1 which was clarified to be false...that's why I'm doubting some people's opinions
Old 12-15-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmwalker View Post
What do you mean you didn't. Those were direct quotes from your posts. I just coppied and pasted them to show you that did say it was your mortor not your friends.

So why did you join this forum?? To get opinions of your build? Or to prove that we don't know what we are talking about?
To find someone who would give me te correct numbers thus proving they know what they are talking about
Old 12-15-2012, 11:26 AM

To find someone who will give you the correct numbers... Or just the numbers you are looking for??

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.