Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 406 - first kick
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 11:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

406 - first kick

So, having not touched an since high school, and now retired from the Navy, I decided to start 'tinkering' to see what I could remember. I decided to try find an old 350 to play with over the winter, so what actually happened was I picked up someone else's project engine:
Freshly bored 406, polished crank, new pistons, rings, cam, oil pump, flex plate, balancer and a few other odds and ends - most of the rotating assembly..
What I still need are
heads
intake (likely some sort of FI)

Somewhere I have a note with recommended head numbers, but the part I *do* remember is that the PO recommended 76 mm combustion chamber for a lower compression ratio. And to get the heads drilled for steam holes.

Some way of figuring out what will work well with the current parts. Any pointers towards what I should be looking at for the top bits would be most appreciated. I'm way out of practice and don't really know what to be looking for when it comes to the options available these days.

The engine will likely be going into a 68 C10, or possibly a farm find 48 dodge, complete with farmyard bullet holes - if I can convince the 80 year old owner that he's likely not going to be doing anything with it...