Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 406 rebuild questions...
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhens
I?ve been lurking/reading here for a while now, but this is my first post. I recently bought a ?73 Vette that I?m going to restore that has a 406 small block. The previous owner said he mainly ran 1/8 mile with it. When I rebuild the motor, I?d like to make it a little more mellow for street driving. The car does run great and the compression check ranged from 162-172. Can I get away with just a milder cam kit? I called Comp Cams. They suggested a 12-211-2 or maybe a 12-240-4 (to help with the vacuum). Maybe I should also be looking at swapping out the single plane intake? I?ll never take it to the strip?only around town weekend driving. I appreciate any help?

Here?s the current setup...

406 small block (1970 400 +.030)
9:1 compression (per previous owner)
Speed Pro 7066P pistons
Competition Cams 12-214-4 (http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Se...umber=12-214-4)
Rhoads Lifters
Victor Jr. 2975 Intake
Holley 800 CFM #4780-2
Open chamber (smog) heads 2.02/1.60
HEI dist, Accel Supercoil, MSD 6AL
Headers
Super T-10 trans.
3.70 rearend
Ya know the Rhoads lifters calm the cam a bit, I'm not so sure I jump in and change it, especially with a manual gear box behind the engine, you can manage the RPM range a lot easier that with an automatic. A performer dual plane air gap would probably build up some bottom end, that could let you get away with an axle gear ratio reduction without hurting street performance and pick up cruising mileage from a tank of gas. Or put a T56 in it for the OD and leave the 3.70s.

Overall this sounds like a nice combo, I wouldn't rush in to make changes.

Bogie