Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   406 sbc Carb size?? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/406-sbc-carb-size-223022.html)

farmwalker 08-17-2012 10:41 PM

406 sbc Carb size??
 
Hi I just bult a 406 sbc and Im almost finished. I have a 750 holley and I was wondering if I could go any bigger, and if so what do you recomend??

So far I have...
400 sbc 2 bolt 817 block bored .030 over = 406
Stock crank
Melling High Volume oil pump
Eagle I-beam 5.7 rods
floting .030 over speed pro flat top 4 valve relief hypertonic pistons
11:1 CR
Clevite bearings
Balenced rotating assembly
190 cc aluminum heads 64cc chamber (I know i could have gone bigger but i got a good deal on them)
1.5 roller rockers (Got a good deal on them too!)
Voodoo 60105 Cam and lifters
Lift int/exh .525/.546
Duration @.050 241/249
Weiand Team G intake
1 inch carb spacer
3500 stall
th 350 tranny
and a 4.10 rear end.

Thanks for all you guy's input!

F-BIRD'88 08-18-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmwalker (Post 1583839)
Hi I just bult a 406 sbc and Im almost finished. I have a 750 holley and I was wondering if I could go any bigger, and if so what do you recomend??

So far I have...
400 sbc 2 bolt 817 block bored .030 over = 406
Stock crank
Melling High Volume oil pump
Eagle I-beam 5.7 rods
floting .030 over speed pro flat top 4 valve relief hypertonic pistons
11:1 CR
Clevite bearings
Balenced rotating assembly
190 cc aluminum heads 64cc chamber (I know i could have gone bigger but i got a good deal on them)
1.5 roller rockers (Got a good deal on them too!)
Voodoo 60105 Cam and lifters
Lift int/exh .525/.546
Duration @.050 241/249
Weiand Team G intake
1 inch carb spacer
3500 stall
th 350 tranny
and a 4.10 rear end.

Thanks for all you guy's input!

It may pick up about 10 hp on the top end with a 850.

The 750DP is very responsive for around town street duty.
Its a good overall carb.

vinniekq2 08-18-2012 01:41 AM

750 is probably fine for that camshaft.If you ever upgrade the cam then an 850 will make a few more MPH in the 1/4. I use a 950 and drive mine on the street,works excellent.I started with a BG 830 demon.

F-BIRD'88 08-18-2012 01:48 AM

If you want a big big top end try a street tunnel ram with a pair of edelbrocks.

farmwalker 08-18-2012 03:13 AM

The tunnel ram is a little much for me right now. But if I come across one for cheap and I want to try it out what size should the two carbs be??

ap72 08-18-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmwalker (Post 1583866)
The tunnel ram is a little much for me right now. But if I come across one for cheap and I want to try it out what size should the two carbs be??

I WOULD NOT USE EDELBROCKS on a tunnel ram unless you already had them or they were free. Edelbrock carbs are great street carbs but with unequal venturi and only a single squirter cluster they lead to slightly uneven fuel distribution on a tunnel ram.

You won't find a complete setup cheap unless there's something major wrong with it. For a good used setup expect to pay anywhere from $500-$1000 depending on what it is.

vinniekq2 08-18-2012 09:44 AM

when I used 2 x 4 bbl on my street car, I used 2 x 750s. For some reason people think that you divide 1 four bbl in 1/2 and use 2 small 4 bbls,not true.You would use 2 carbs the same as if you used 1 carb on a single carb manifold( approximately) Tunnel rams come with different plenum sizes same as single plane intakes. If you buy a "cheap" tunnel ram,expect the same performance as buying a cheap single four BBl with an extra carb to add to the confusion.

ap72 08-18-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1583885)
when I used 2 x 4 bbl on my street car, I used 2 x 750s. For some reason people think that you divide 1 four bbl in 1/2 and use 2 small 4 bbls,not true.You would use 2 carbs the same as if you used 1 carb on a single carb manifold( approximately) Tunnel rams come with different plenum sizes same as single plane intakes. If you buy a "cheap" tunnel ram,expect the same performance as buying a cheap single four BBl with an extra carb to add to the confusion.

"cheap" has nothing to do with it, it just needs to be properly sized. A used swap meet edelbrock tunnel ram is one of the best tunnel rams for a street car.

Look for long runners with a relatively narrow cross section for a good street tunnel ram (it'll help mid range torque). Short runners with a wider taper are for top end power. A good example of this is comparing a LT1 intake to a TPI intake, the TPI intake produces much higher low end torque and the LT1 intake produces higher peak hp. This is also the primary reason for a dual plane intake- runner length and packaging.

F-BIRD'88 08-18-2012 12:48 PM

I would be inclined to use the 750 Edelbrocks on a tunnel ram.
One of the reasons is the near equal pri sec throttle/venturii size.
Another reason is they are cheap and easy to buy.

Viinny is right on. If you choke a tunnel ram down with small carbs
don't expect big power. The manifold needs to breath deep.
If you want tunnel ram power and you see one offered with the typical 450cfm holleys
(fine for the T bucket/cruiser set with restrictive heads, small cam and restrictive exhaust)

Just buy the manifold and get your own carbs. (650-750)
Both the Edelbrock Street Tunnel Ram and the Weiand Hi ram are good.

The air valve secondaries give it the street flexability.

Your cheapy heads will need full porting.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.