Hot Rod Forum banner

406 sbc. Mallory Unilite, what ignition coil??

4K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 ·
Hi, I just bult a 406 sbc and Im almost finished. What I'm looking for is; I have a mallory unilite distributor (that I all ready have laying around) and I'm not looking to spend anymore money then I have to, but what I'm wondering is, what the best ignition coil to use with my unilite? I'm thinking something like Mallory 6852M - Mallory Hyfire 6-Series. But I don't know...

So far I have...
400 sbc 2 bolt 817 block bored .030 over = 406
Stock crank turned- .010/.010
Melling High Volume oil pump
Eagle SIR I-beam 5.7 rods
floting .030 over speed pro flat top 4 valve relief hypertonic pistons
11:1 CR
Clevite bearings
Balenced rotating assembly
190 cc ported aluminum heads 64cc chamber (I know i could have gone bigger but i got a good deal on them)
1.5 roller rockers (Got a good deal on them too!)
Voodoo 60105 Cam and lifters
Lift int/exh .525/.546
Duration @.050 241/249
Weiand Team G intake
850 holley 1 inch spacer
3500 stall
th 350 tranny
and a 4.10 rear end.

Im going to get 28" Slicks and cal tracs eventually. Im just wondering what would be the best ignition coil to use. For some reason ignition has never been my strong suit. :confused: Again I'm thinking something like Mallory 6852M - Mallory Hyfire 6-Series. But I don't know...

Thanks for the input by eveyone!

See less See more
#3 ·
Like I said, ignition is not my strong suit. I have the promaster coil for my unilite... but if that's all you need?? Why would you need an ignition control box like Mallory 6852M - Mallory Hyfire 6-Series?? Sorry I forgot to put that in my first post..

#6 ·
example using your car:
a few races into the season you shift at full throttle at red line from second to high and thats when that T350 decides to let go.instead of 3rd you get neutral and w/e RPM that engine can climb to in neutral.
with a rev limiter the ignition wont allow the engine past the RPM level you set as max.
Ive had 2 T350s let go going into 3rd gear.Your hydraulic flat tappet cam will likely not allowthe engine to over rev too much,,,,,,,but it might?

#10 ·
what Im saying is" if something breaks,very likely the T350,then the engine has no load and will over rev" Ive had 2 T350s break shifting into 3rd gear, Ive had spider gears break several times, dropped a driveshaft a couple times,even sheared a pinion gear with my 283 powered 65 acadian 4 speed car. Ive had quite a few Muncies break,with each break the engine was trying its hardest to accellerate the car. just get the insurance to save the engine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.