408ci Mopar Stroker Question... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 12:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

408ci Mopar Stroker Question...

I've posted a few other questions concerning a 408" SB Mopar Stroker and I'll be purchasing the parts neccessary to make this a reality soon. Being that this motor is being assembled for daily street operation with no racing in its future, I was wondering if I'd be able to use the MP 4" stroker crank ... 4.030 Stroker Spec. Pistons and reuse my stock rods which are 6.123", have them shot peened and replace the rod bolts with ARP's. Thanks in advance.

-Ian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 05:54 PM

Cool could you tell me were and how to go about doing a 408?? My brother in law has a 74 Dart he is playing with. Right now it has a wormed up 318. We are looking for a 360 to build next time. But I thought the 408 would be better if it would not cost an arm and a leg. LOL could git away with one leg, as long as it is not the right......
Old 02-02-2005, 01:05 AM

it's actually quite simple. by adding a 4" Mopar cast crank with the proper stroker spec pistons,a 360ci block is upped to 408ci. as far as clearacing goes a small notch has to be taken out of the block to make room for the rod bolts. there's tons of info online...just run a search for 408 mopar stroker on yahoo or google and you'll have tons of info to rummage through.

-ian
Old 02-02-2005, 04:08 PM

What kind of head's are you thinking of running? I know everyone wants the J or X head but who can find them?? I know and aftermarket head is the next choice, but he is on a budget. I have heard something about a early 90 model head that flows like the J or X head. Do you or anyone know any thing about this?? Thanks....
Old 02-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

A couple of links that can help with the Mopar.
www.hughesengines.com
www.krcperformance.com
The 318 magnum can be stroked to a 390.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:34 AM

as far as head selection goes...i was leaning towards the aluminum route but i might just port and polish the existing heads on my 360 and fit them with some 2.055 / 1.60 valves from hughes and perform a slight port job along with a good polishing. since its going in a street car that'll be a daily driver, ill also be using an offenhauser dual plane intake. im mostly going for good low and midrange torque to strut my 54' Plymouth around town with out any problems.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:52 PM

antirawker I heard that the 360 heads were bad about cracking any truth?? Some one told him to run the old 273 heads. I thought that would bring the squeeze up but not flow good. 1ownerT that was a cool sight but out of our budget LOL. Got to be cheep (Mopar is not LOL), traded for, saved for or some one cleaning out there shop(all way a day late here).
Old 02-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Your refering to the late model 360 Magnum heads.
Yes, HAVE THEM CHECKED before you use/buy a set.They are notorious for cracking between the valve seats.
They are excellent heads and flow way more than the stock older one's but you have intake issues as they use the straight up bolting. So your sorta limited on intakes. Not that there aren't some nice pieces,M-1,but not like the older style.
The Magnum R/T heads are especially nice pieces.

If you do decide to port your's,Use the MP porting templates for the smallblock's
Easiest way NOT to screw your heads up if your not experienced at port work.

Last edited by Bee4Me; 02-03-2005 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:55 PM

Bee4Me were would you find the porting templates at?? Do you happen to have an extra set, and could you send them to me?? Thanks a lot...
Old 02-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Sorry,I been a little busy this weekend.

Mancinie Racing has them as well as most anything MOPAR for the best price's around.

Mine would't work for ya,Their BB templates.

Cut them just outside the black outline for "a little extra"and be REAL CAREFULL on the exaust port's. The casting is thinner than the intakes for heat transfer so BE CAREFULL. Not trying to scare ya just giving you a heads up. Stay off the short side radius (bottom) into the valve, you can ruin a set of street heads quick with just a small cut down.
I picked up some double cut carbide burs from an outfit called
DRAGO online. $75.00 for a set and I'm still using them today so their not junk. Their short shank but for what your doing they are fine. You can get a porting kit from Summit Racing that has the roll's,flap's and mandrell's for like $35.00 That has all the stuff to finish them out.
One other thing. You'll make a BIG ***** MESS so don't plan on doing it watching TV in the living room.
Unless your single.
Unless you putting in bigger valve's don't take the valve throat out to the seat. you want a little step there for flow on a street rod. Mine are at the shop now getting larger valve's/guides/milled. Should make the ol 'BEE go a little faster.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.