40's Model Chevy Coupe - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 12:03 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If you could go the Jag, it would have been very nice, even i you had to take a road trip to a larger town in Wa. or Id.
I would definitely go for a GM tilt column from a 80's car or pickup. The tilt will make things nicer to get the correct driving position and beel comfortable.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 12:00 PM

I will look in harder for the Jag front end and see what I can find. What years and model did you suggest again? XJ6? As far as the chevy tilt column goes, do they look good once place or do they look out of place? The interior I am leaving mostly original with maybe just a few upgrades like seats and safety stuff I think, I havent absolutely gotten to that point yet. Been mostly concerned with power plant and drive train. Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:51 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

The Chevy tilt column looks great as long as you don't use the factory wheels. My buddy's '40 has the tilt from a late 70's Camaro, and it had the factory wheel when he bought the car. He changed to a simple old school 3 spoke and what a difference!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:21 PM

Last journal entry: New neon sign for the garage
Last photo:

1940 chevrolet coupe build

I recently finished my 38 chev. coupe with a TCI mustang 11 front end with 2" drop spindles. I also bought rear spring set up from Posies that will bolt into your existing spring mounts and added 2 inch lowering blocks. I did use the TCI rear cross member for the shock mounts. These two set ups will lower your car about 5 1/2". The frame on your car is very similar in design to my 38 frame. It is a top hat design and is already boxed from the factory, so IMHO you would be crazy to drop additional money and time to put a different frame in. TCI front end bolts in using mostly original mounting holes, and only requires welding on the spring hats.
Of course if you chop your top like I did, you will really get it down low. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 AM

TCI huh, I will check out there products and see. I looked a bit harder at the coupe and it is actually a '39, so I think it should def. work with what you are suggesting. The spring ride you put on, does it go down the road pretty smoothly being it is leaf springs? That was one of my concerns that it would be too stiff. Im glad to know that you can get it lower useing springers too cause I was afraid of that as well. As you can see I havent done this before, hence why I am asking so many questions. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:20 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:

i would love it if both of you, spacytracy and spec4, would post some pics and share some info over in the 37 & 38 +/- thread I am trying to collect some info and pics for all of us old gm owners to share
Old 01-26-2012, 02:42 PM

Last journal entry: New neon sign for the garage
Last photo:

I could not be more pleased with ride quality and cornering. I still have not put roll bars on, and dont feel that I really need them. Low center of gravity has aided in handling. I did cut my front coils 1/2 coil before the car had settled and probably will change out the front coils with stock heights as the car is about 1" lower in front than I would like. TCI setup only took my one Saturday to fully install. I did hire a pro. welder to weld the spring caps on for me, but have since mastered the art of welding after chopping the top and repairing the deck lid and could weld them myself next time. Good luck on your project. Jhan.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.