Hot Rod Forum banner

41 Chev build

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  redsdad 
#1 ·
There are many mustang 11 conversions out there that can be used on my 41. Any advise on the best kit for the money? Is bolt in cross member better than weld in?

#3 ·
Pros and cons for all of them. I am using a TCI which is a bolt in crossmember with weld on spring hats. I think Chassis Engineering has the complete bolt in kit while Fatman and Heidts has the complete weld in kit.

I will weld body panels but I don't trust my welds for something as serious as suspension. If it weren't for Don doing my welding, I probably would have gone 100% bolt in.

If I had a car which didn't have a front suspension that originally bolted in like the 41-48 does, and I had Don available, I probably would have gone 100% weld in.

Check my journal for the work I am doing on my 41.

#4 ·
Build plan for 41 Chevy

I haven't got to the trans crossmember part yet. I am hoping that I can pirate some used part off from a doner Chevy. My car had a 427 BBC and a M22 in it. But I want to run a small block, with a 350 Auto. Should I be thinking a recessed firwall as well? If so, go with the one *****in makes for BBC, or just use the one for the small block. I presume that the deeper recessed firewall will make for less room inside? Hey, Redsdad, I looked over your build journal on this site with much interest. Looks like you went through a lot with the whole car, and especially the window boxes. Is the weld in Must 11 setup less money than the bolt in?

#5 ·
Not sure if I went straight apples to apples, but I tried. And you might be able to find a discount deal somewhere.

TCI $1849 bolt / weld
Fatmans weld in $1895 weld
Chassis Engineering $1975 bolt
Heidt's $2099 weld

There are a lot of small block cars without recessed firewalls. I have a big radiator with a March front runner kit. Hope I can get by without replacing the firewall. But I will probably have to recess the right head and the distributor. Hoping I find some helpful parts at the Creek County swap meet this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.