41 chevy information/opinions needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 10:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 88

41 chevy information/opinions needed

I am considering buying a 41 chevy. havent seen it yet, can't remember looking at one closely. Can anyone give me some general information before I load up and drive hundreds of miles. Don't even know what questions to ask. Maybe things like; Are the frames strong enough to be a rod? are they boxed? need to be? Need more cross members? Steering needs to moved to accomodate an SBC. Steering needs to be replaced, period? Does a gm subframe work well as front clip? Is there a radiator available suitable for A/C? Any special problems with rodding this car? Chopping the top? Are the bodies generally solid? Any special problems to look for? I know nothing about this car, just want it for the body style, but an olds, pont, even plymouth would work as well if there s a particular reason not to do a chevy, or this year chevy. Specific parts that are not available? Are the windshield and rear glass flat or curved?
Any insight would be welcome. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Nitrous Junkie

Last journal entry: Reflooring The Bed Pt. 2
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have one that my wife and I are working on, pics of how it's coming along are in my journal with some pics of the underside etc. that may help answer some of your questions. The frame is boxed, and IMO it appears to be plenty strong enough for a SBC. The rear glass is curved, the fronts are flat, I haven't made it to the radiator yet, LOL, but plan on having my stock one re-cored (?) I moved my steering column towards the drivers side door maybe 2 inches.

Here's a link to an online Repair manual that has been invaluable to me:

1941 Chevy Shop Manual
Old 01-20-2006, 02:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I built a pro-street bbc powered coupe about 10 years ago. Pics and construction specifics in the link below my signature. The frames are plenty strong for pretty much anything you wan to throw at it.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:03 PM

Last photo:

41 chevy info/opinions.

Thanks guys. both journals very helpful. Looks like nothing but work. Have a couple of questions tho. Thought they came with an inline 6. Would have thought the sbc would fit without hacking the firewall. Makes sense the steering box needs to be moved. also, why the change in the gas tank? Where was the original mounted? or did it just need a new one? z28, can't picture where the gas pedal is going to go with that wide firewall. Maybe its just an illusion in the pictures. Never thought about building it"for the wife". what a great way to get some help. LOL. Mine took one look at a "before" picture of a 41 chevy and I didn't have to ask. Not her cup of tea (she drives a jaguar) so I asked her what she was expecting. She had pictured something like a dusenberg or bugatti (yes, she's younger than I am). I told her we can go to car shows and look at them, that's all they are good for. this is a hot rod, we're going to drive it. Not really her fault I guess. Mostly I have just restored stuff to original, 62 Triumph, 67 MGB, a 69 Cutlass S convertible and an XK150 jaguar drop head coupe (convertible to us colonists). Finally realized, when you restore them you get a new old car, with most of their original faults. Going to be strange just putting in what you like, not what is "supposed" to be there.
One more question, what about a corvette rear end? Really like the Jaguar ride with the 4 wheel independent suspension. Seems like it would be awesome in a street rod. Any specific problems with that transplant?
Thanks again, don
Old 01-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Firewall
Last photo:

If it is a two door sedan, check out the rear quarter window boxes. You can see what I am going through in my photos.

I am very happy so far with my TCI MII front suspension and my CE rear spring kit.

I also got the TCI frame mounts for the engine. Not sure what I am going to do for the tranny.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:25 AM
Nitrous Junkie

Last photo:

Don you're right they did come with an inline 6 and I'm sure a sbc would fit without changing the firewall. The stock fuel tank originally mounted in the same location, but I wanted the fuel filler on the drivers side of the car, and the filler neck on the stocker came out on the rh side of the car. The final purpose of the car is for it to be a daily driver for my wife. It probably sounds silly to many, but her '96 Chevy PU has the fuel filler on the left, so I'm also trying to keep things within her "habit zone" LOL. If the fuel filler stayed on the rh side of the car, she'd be pulling in to get gas on the wrong side of the pump for the next year, LOL!

In my case I'm working towards building the car around parts that I already either had, or have readily available. I know someone locally that buys late model fbodys that are wrecked and parts them out, and he's only about a 30 minute drive from me. If I need some small part he usually has it, I already had much of the bigger parts. I already had the sheetmetal and the driveshaft so I saved having to get a new driveshaft made. Same with my fuel tank, steering column, engine,, LOL. Basically I'm using '98-02 Fbody stuff and currently still just mocking things up, so some of that may still change if I find something won't work. On the accelerator pedal, I have one already and we've done a "test fit" with my wife in the seat. Since she's only 5' tall if I can end up with it mounted on the back of the "new" firewall just left of the tranny hump she'll be able to reach it without any problem. The final location has to be determined yet, routing the throttle cable may influence the final location,,, I have much, much left to sort out! As far as the pedals go, right now, I'm more concerned with having to modify the brake pedal so she can reach it LOL!

Some of the parts, like the wheels that are on our '41 in the pics, came off my '01 Camaro (in my photo album), some of the parts, like the GTO motor, I had set back as spares, now they're just being "reallocated" LOL!

I've begun calling it our painted rat rod, even though it's not painted yet, LOL! Anyway, sorry for the extra long post,,,

Phil
Old 01-21-2006, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

41 chevy info/opinions.

makes perfect sense to me. we have a saying here "momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" , I also have a petite ( 5' 1" mother and daugter) so I understand.
Couple of random questions.... Was the windshield flat,or do you just make two flat pieces fit?
Is the standard radiator good enough for a sbc with a/c, or is there a known replacement that works. [Other than a new Walker - the one for my sons 28 was over $600.00]
Are patch panels,like the rocker covers, available? Where?
It looks like a - master cylinder under the floor - setup. Are you converting to hanging pedals, or leaving it under there? [forgot to look close in your journal]
Have you selected a wiring kit, or are you creating your own?
Uh... I'm Ok with long posts. lol.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:35 PM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

Hey Don; Sheet metal repair panels are available from EMS in ohio. The windshield was originally two flat pieces but a one piece is available. EMS have replacement firewalls for both sbc & bbc. There is a disk brake conversion kit available I believe for the 41. If its a business mans coupe the gas tank is in the back seat area. Personally I'd drop a 235 or a 261 in it. Then u wouldn't have to change a thing. Had to put that in, I'm just an inliner nut. Those 41 chevy's make a beautiful rod. Good luck. By changing or modifying your firewall you can maintain your rad position.There is a kit for the brakes so you can keep them in the original spot. Good luck and keep us informed. Cheers!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 10:28 PM

firewall

I have a 46 and I put a sbc in it and I didn't modify the fire wall and the radiator is in the stock location...The motor is slid back very close to the firewall but it fits and works.....GlennK
Old 01-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Nitrous Junkie

Last photo:

Your so right! Gotta keep the better half happy, she lets me have my toys, without any issues, and actually enjoys them with me And she doesn't mind my jokes about being "vertically challenged" LOL,,

The windshield is 2 flat pieces, there's a center trim piece that holds the seals where the 2 glass ends mate in the middle. It'll leave a "vertical window post" in the view looking out the windshield. Or like 46chevyfleetline said there's a one piece windshield available. We plan on putting a one piece windshields in later, but were're going to start with the 2 piece just to save a few $$. The 2 pieces for the windshield is included in the glass kit I have located (haven't bought it yet).

As far as the radiator, I had a thread bookmarked about re-coring or rebuilding them, but it's on another hard drive in a dead machine Several people have done that with success and it's what I plan on doing. I know of a local radiator shop that my dad's done business with a couple of times. I'm just going to take it in, tell him what I'm doing with it and let him check it out, rebuild it or whatever. If he suggests buying a new one I'll be back at square one, LOL. I have a '98 Camaro radiator that I could use, but it wouldn't look right at all, it'd have to mounted in front of the radiator frame.

Yep, the stock master cylinder is under the floor. I'm going to use a firewall mounted pedal and booster.

I have a EZ Wiring harness, some of the stuff like the engine harness, fuel tank harness for the fuel pump and sending units will be from a 99 fbody LS1 car. There's a really good thread in the electrical section about harness selections.

Like 46chevyfleetline said there's several inline 6's that are a straight bold in. We considered going that route ourselves, I just couldn't get my eyes off the LS1 sitting in the floor waiting to go to work, LOL.

46chevyfleetline, I'm not familiar with EMS, if you have a link could you post it. I tried a search but didn't have any luck. I've looked for some replacement panels myself without much luck. TIA!

Glennk, what did you do as far as your radiator? Thanks for the input, I was pretty sure it would fit!

Time to go to the garage, hope everyone has a good day!
Old 01-22-2006, 08:50 AM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

Hey Zip; I'm not sure if EMS has a website or not but here's their phone # 216-541-4585. They are located around the Cleveland Ohio area and they offer a free catalog. I'll get you a couple other sites as soon as I can find them. My wife organized my office. Now I can't find a dang thing. I've got to get a filing cabinet labeled My Car S**t. Well maybye 3 or 4 cabinets. Hmmm! maybye just a lock on the door. Yea thats it!! Cheers!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Nitrous Junkie

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46chevyfleetline
Hey Zip; I'm not sure if EMS has a website or not but here's their phone # 216-541-4585. They are located around the Cleveland Ohio area and they offer a free catalog. I'll get you a couple other sites as soon as I can find them. My wife organized my office. Now I can't find a dang thing. I've got to get a filing cabinet labeled My Car S**t. Well maybye 3 or 4 cabinets. Hmmm! maybye just a lock on the door. Yea thats it!! Cheers!!!
Thanks I appreciate it! If you have any '41-'49 or so related links bookmarked please either post them or pm me with them if you wouldn't mind. I need to rebuild my reference library after my old computer crashed on me LOL!

I vote lock, LOL,,,

edited to add: re: the above comment about the bookmarks, if you have one you'd like to pass along I'd appreaicte it if you'd pm me with it.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:59 PM

radiator

I bought my radiator from Cal West..Its a 4 core and it was around 360 something....Been awhile so I can't remember..It works good and it's the same dimensions except a little thicker.....GlennK
Old 01-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Firewall
Last photo:

www.chevsofthe40s.com

www.emsautomotive.com

www.hotrodssuperstore.com/index.html

www.fillingstation.com

Some useful sites.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.