Hot Rod Forum banner

41 ford steering box question

6K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  maddog48merc 
#1 ·
I am needing some opinions about a dilema i am having reguarding my 41 ford.It has a chassis engineering ez rider drop axle kit front and parallel rear with 8" ford.
I am working on mocking up the suspension and steering systems up before I pull the frame out to get it powdered.A friend of mine (smartest hot rodder I know) does not think a vega box is strong enough to stand up on my sedan.He thinks I need a rack setup and says he will be doing one on his 36 in the near future.
If I do a rack setup I am thinking a unisteer setup.
I am needing feedback on personal expeeriences on how either has held up or not held up and how they drive...THANKS in advance!

#2 ·
I have the Uni-Steer on my 32 3W ...

It drives nice but it does not turn as tight as my Vega box in my 32 roadster.

I had a 40 Ford and it has a 66 Chevelle box. Strong enough for a 40 Ford, easy to find and easy to adapt. I was not aware that Uni-Steer made a box for the 41 Ford :confused: :confused: but then I do not have a 41 Ford ... so I could be mistaken.

#3 ·
Hey,thanks for the reply! When u say tight do u mean radius? Or amount to force to turn? Unisteer does not that they ppackage and market for my 41.I talked to them and they can do a custom rack. Power or manual to my specs.I also am going to go measure my friends 40 frame.I think the 40 might actually work on my41 but need to do the rest of my homework.speedway sells a frame bracket for Vega box 35-41 as the same hence my hope.either way I just need to decide before I tear down for paint and powder....

#4 ·
The 40 frame is about 2 1/2" more narrow than the 41 (outside to outside of frame rail at the axle centerline) or you could say your 41 is 2 1/2' wider than the 40. We built a 41 Business Coupe and put a Mustang II front end from the car with a power rack on it and it drives like a dream. A kit will look a lot better but would not drive or handle any better.

Trees

#6 ·
steering box

fordman67; how did the install of the Vega box go?
I'm looking into putting the same suspension set up you have in my 48 Merc next year; was hoping to find out if there is some kind of powered vega steering box or an equivelent so I could eliminate the "armstrong" steering in mine.

How did you install of the suspension go; have you had it down the road yet; if so how does it feel and handle?

maddog

#7 ·
Well...I am still in limbo.I have a friend with a cut down rack that I am pondering seeing if will work.He swears the vega box is a terrible idea for a "heavy full fender car"...I hope to get it from him this weekend when we are setting up for the frog follies.
The main option on these cars for power is the 605 ie g-body malibu-elcamino platform power box for a power unit.I bought one but with my 4.6 being SO wide it just would not fit and building headers would have been a nightmare on that side! depending on engine choice and headers you may get that to work...
I of course have not driven mine with the new suspension:(...it installed fairly easy considering there again....my engine and trans chioce....I just wish that since they had a part number for 41 and knew since it was a 41 they could have told me ahead of time I would have to locate a panhard bar bracket...just aggervating.I am excited to get this on the road but a 2yr old and another on the way there are just not enough hours in the day!

If you would like I can post up some pics of the install. also note that the front sway bar wont hook up unless you have ALL the weight in the car...at least that is what they tell me.I hope it does when it is done!

#8 ·
easy rider install

Yes please post the pictures I would love to see them. My merc is a driver right now; bought the car about 2 weeks ago. The front suspension is original other than after market shocks are on it; and it is stiff as a board. Headers aren't an issue with mine because they go over the frame and dump into the fender area, then back under the car and out.

I have found that by doing some research that the later model Fords and Mercs can use a saginaw steering box, so I'm looking into using one of those.

I have been out of street roding for over 17 years and am just getting back into it again; lot's of changes since I have been gone; some good; some bad.
Looking forward to the pics and keep at the project best you can there dad. :D

#13 ·
Sorry for the delay! I wound up pulling all the suspension off and sent it for powder coat.I needed to assemble the spindles,king pins to finalize brake line tabs.Also I have the speedway roller king pins so everything had to be powdered since they are a single use deal and wont come back apart.hopefully it all will be back soon.
Just a couple of more things and the body will be ready to come off of the frame..

#18 ·
hey maddog,you ever get the suspension?

I have been so dang busy with work and family that my project has been just sitting in the shop...for years now..I am newly motivated and going to get this thing on the road by spring...here is where I am at...flat clear applied to my 73 year in the making patina. suspension mostly in and front floor installed and new rear tail pan and floor.

#20 ·
Fordman,

Good to hear from you after so long.
Yes I did get the suspension put into the Merc, and BOY what a difference in driving; much better tracking and no more bumps that want to knock the fillings out of your teeth.
I got it done last spring 2013.
Since then I have sold the Merc to a gentleman in MN and I bought a '36 Chevy sedan Coach. I needed something that had a larger back seat so I could take my adopted grandson with me to the car shows. He is 3 years old and still needs his own seat.
Best of luck with finishing the build; keep in touch.
Attached is a picture of the new ride.

maddog

Attachments

#21 ·
aww man.thats cool.wish mine was done. not sure what is going to happen.i want to finish but not sure how the cash flow is going to handle it. i prob should sell but dont want to.

what steering box did you use? any pics from your install? use the 40 split wishbone brackets?

#22 ·
The Chevy is really nice and all finished with the exception of a few tweaks I want to do over the next few years.
I kept the original Merc steering box but had the rag joints on the steering column updated; it was getting a little worn.
Kept the original split wishbone in there and it all bolted up just fine.
No pics from the install; I had a local rod shop do the work for me because I didn't have the tools to do the swap myself, plus it was done in one day where it would have taken me a weekend or more to do it myself.
I know what you mean about cash flow; my first street rod took 10 years to get built; spent a little here and there when I could afford it; but it was worth the wait; keep at it and post pictures when you can.
See you on the street same day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.