Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 425 Caddy into a Stroker 454
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 10:59 AM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevlac View Post
I understand what some have said, but, the main reason for my choice of a 425 Caddy is, I already have it. I've had the engine since 1998 & I bought the whole car that it was in for $125 in running & "drive-able" condition as a "parts car". Also, for me to buy even a "core" 454 Chevy engine would be quite expensive. The cheapest 454 Chevy that I've found within 250 miles from my house is being "offered" at $800 & that doesn't include the cost of getting it & bringing it home.
So by the time I got that "core" 454, got it home & looked it over, I would already have well over $1,000 into it. Way too expensive! And, like someone had already said, even with a pair of aluminum heads ($$$), a 454 Chevy is still heavier than a stock 425 Caddy. Also for those who keep suggesting that I get a 500 Caddy, that too is too expensive. The cheapest "core" 500 that's in pieces is "for sale" at $650 & it is over 150 miles from my house. Again, too much to invest just to start over. I can use the money spent on that, towards the machine shop charges on my already existing 425 Caddy engine.
I hope that explains my reasoning for doing what I'm doing with a 425 Caddy engine.
I understand how building a hot motor from another, non-chevy brand can be cheaper initial investment. People pay crazy money for bbc and sbc nowadays. I'd rather build an Olds than a Chevy any day... But that inexpensive initial investment is going to be offset by whatever I have to spend on it later, and I recognize that. You're going to have more money in your rotating assembly than it would cost to just get a decent 472 or 500, and your going to come up short in cubes too... I commend you for being different, though.