Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 425 olds good engine? worth anything?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2004, 03:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If it runs good,tear it down to a shortblock,add a fresh oil pump,a mild jet boat type cam and timing chain.Have the heads freshened with new springs and seals,and a 3 angle valve job,top it off with a torker intake a 1" carb spacer and a 750 double pump and add a perfromance curved HEI distributor and you will have a 10:1 compression pump gas motor that will make an honest 480hp,and will be very mild to drive.
Such and engine would work with power brakes and would idle OK with air conditioning,and with 3.73 gears and a 2500 stall convertor it will put a 3500# car into the 12's.Add a 125 shot to it and run 11's.My pick for a car would be an early 80's cutlass.I know of a junkyard in Jersey right now hat has an 84 442 wth an 8.5" rear and 3.73's and a blown tranny for $1200.The body is fair,and the interior is a rat but it would fly with a 425 in it.Good luck.

BTW,a baumont was a spin off of the 98 wile a delmont was the upscale 88.And any 425 Olds will have a th400 bolted to the back of it too.I say that if you dont own a car or an engine,this is a great place to start.