427 bare block question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 10:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

427 bare block question

i was going to buy this engine http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/19166393
and i was told i should just buy a bare block and save money. i been searching, does anybody know the block number all i could find was this part number "Bare Block # 19170538" but iam not sure if it is the same block

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo20
i was going to buy this engine http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/19166393
and i was told i should just buy a bare block and save money. i been searching, does anybody know the block number all i could find was this part number "Bare Block # 19170538" but iam not sure if it is the same block
Looks like it to me. In any event, it's capable of being made into a 427 or 454-plus, depending on the stroke. But the bare block isn't anything special, strength-wise. Basically it's a modernized (it can use heads from the Mark 4, Gen 5 or Gen 6) production-type 4-bolt BBC casting. It'll need finish prepped before it can be built.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 PM

Last photo:

is there any other bare blocks i should take in to account that are better then the one i was thinking of buying "Bare Block # 19170538"
Old 06-03-2011, 04:30 AM

When your friends said bare block I think they meant you should buy one without the intake, water pump and other bolt-ons already installed. For example, if you look at the GMPP 350 you can buy a short block with only heads and tin (valve covers, etc.), and I think this may be what they mean when they said bare block.

If you buy the 19170538 block you are really starting from scratch. That is fine if you want to pick everything out yourself. However, the more complete engines would simplify everything for you, and GM is pretty good about putting together a reliable package for a reasonable price.

Bruce
Old 06-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
i was told i should just buy a bare block and save money.
Is the person who told you this going to come over with his tools and help you measure and blueprint all the parts, then help you assemble them into a motor?

Tell this jerko to pound sand and buy your complete motor like you were going to in the first place.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:08 AM

Last photo:

How much money will you really save? Time spent rounding up all these parts, having them fitted, unknown quality and compatibility... Time spent correcting mistakes due to OTHER poor advice from this friend. It would have to be a considerable savings to me. And it comes with a chrome air cleaner! Buy it, drop it, drive it.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 AM

Last photo:

I have built 3 engines befor didnt seem to hard i know the basics i went to auto school but i never got a job to hone my skills i did something esle its been 5 years since i did any major work on a car. this is why i was told by my friend hey you done this befor just buy a bare block but like i said this was 5 years go .what i want to know if i buy the 427 would i be geting rip off for the hp i am buying anyother bare blocks i should look at where i can bulid a 427 from i got at least 10,000 i can spend i got alot of time if i can save money on my project car its all good with me and geting a little more Hp would be good also

Last edited by solo20; 06-03-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

WHY buy a 427 ??

I can remember when the 427 was the big dog but NOW ... a bigger engine is available for basically the same $$$.

502's and 572's cost about the same

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 06-03-2011, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

lol bigger is better right but i dont know if my 1964 impala can handle a engine that big i dont want to make any mods on the x frame unless i really have too plus i want somthing i can ride that is street legal with some power. thanks for your input Deuce
Old 06-03-2011, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

If you're not concerned about mileage, and the cost is the same, go for more cubes every time. Heck, if it bothers you that much, you could just put a milder cam in it for now, and someday when when you feel like bringing the monster to life, that extra potential will be waiting for you, ready to tap into.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer
you could just put a milder cam in it for now
Be careful. This is a 10.0:1 motor. If the cam were much shorter, you could make excessive cylinder pressure that would not be compatible with ANY grade of pump gas.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer
If you're not concerned about mileage, and the cost is the same, go for more cubes every time. Heck, if it bothers you that much, you could just put a milder cam in it for now, and someday when when you feel like bringing the monster to life, that extra potential will be waiting for you, ready to tap into.
I'm all for the "cool" factor of a 427 but who can argue with that above?? (doink up side the head) Hell, get a 572 and toss some 427 valve covers on it. I added 289 emblems to my 65 Mustang and it's never seen a 289 in it's life. And if the frame can't handle a 572 it might be a similar fate to a 427. Consider them equal as far as safety goes and plan ahead to make it stay together.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
i dont know if my 1964 impala can handle a engine that big i dont want to make any mods on the x frame
There is a device just to the right of the brake pedal that allows the driver to modulate the power applied to the drivetrain/suspension, as little or as much as he wants. It's called an accelerator pedal.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Be careful. This is a 10.0:1 motor. If the cam were much shorter, you could make excessive cylinder pressure that would not be compatible with ANY grade of pump gas.
When I said "milder" I meant less lift, flat tappet instead of roller, etc. You've already schooled me on matching duration and overlap to compression ratio.

I like your solution better anyway...
Old 06-03-2011, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
There is a device just to the right of the brake pedal that allows the driver to modulate the power applied to the drivetrain/suspension, as little or as much as he wants. It's called an accelerator pedal.
lol you right about the accelerator pedal, its not like iam going to be driving the car everyday may be i should just say screw the 427 and get a 572 block and see what happens from there after looking at bare engine blocks all day the price jump is not as high as thought it was going to be

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.