Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Engine (
-   -   427 BBC tall block questions (

George4 04-17-2011 07:52 PM

427 BBC tall block questions
This is my first post on the forum. I have a Goodwrench 427 tall deck with low miles on it, it was just used very little for many years shortly after the new engine was put in, the truck was a 1977 C65. Anyways it ran awesome in the truck so I pulled it this weekend with the plan to throw it into some kind of project car after I get the engine built up. So what do you guys know about this engine, has anyone used the same 427 BBC for a build? I was thinking I should put a new cam in it and get rid of the stock Holly with a governor on it. What CFM carb should I use, 750? And what kind of luck have you guys had with what cams? I was also thinking of using a tunnel ram intake with single carb, I think I will need some spacers to make it work on the tall deck. Thanks

stinger460 04-17-2011 09:14 PM

the tall deck 427 is similar the standard 427 but hence the name tall deck, smaller bore longer stroke and lower compression makes for a lot of torque, not really designed for street or racing apps without putting a bunch of money in it, you could change the cam for whatever application you need, wouldnt use a tunnel ram thats more for top end motors, suggest a single 4 barrel with a dual plane intake and perhaps a 1" carb spacer. the carb is going to be determined by how much mods are done to motor and cam rpm range. go to holley web site to carb selector, will get you in ball park 04-18-2011 05:47 AM

The tall deck uses a massive 4 ring piston. This has to be replaced for any kind of performance.
To replace these pistons with hi-perf stuff. You will need +.400 rods. Harmonic balancer is not hi-perf usable. Also not, are the two thermostat intake. Water pump and distrib.
There are very few, if any "street" type or tunnel ram used/affordable intakes for a tall deck. Most will need spacers. They leak. Then an adjustable ring distrib. or intake/distrib mods.

Tall deck truck heads won't work (flow) without massive work $$$$..Best to replace with better parts.

So you end up with 1-block and 1- crank.. And a motor that has limited ready made headers/accessories for street use.

Sell the block to a Drag/boat/puller guy. Get a short deck block and build a usable/affordable BBC engine.

bobmaki025 10-06-2011 08:48 PM

A lot of the 427 tall decks had good heads, just need bigger valves. You can get this done + new cam & lifters for $500 or so. Use the spacers right and they shouldn't leak.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.