427 questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 10:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

427 questions

im looking into buying a 427 , and i came across a Tall deck Gen IV 427 for a good price , is that a good block? truthfully i dont know much about the Generations and Mark I , II's etc. as far as the Year of the block i believe its a 90's ?? not sure , but whats the difference with a Gen IV to for example older 427 blocks?? ......... the only difference to my knowledge is the Manual fuel pump hole other than that i have no clue ......AND another question is , are 427 blocks and 454 blocks 2 different blocks OR is it a 427 Stroked or something , what can a 427 be stroked into ?...... thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

Hey there!

This is the web site you want to use to determine the type of block you have. You will need to know the casting number of the block. This number should be on the top-rear section of the block...though I don't remember if it's on the actual rear section "Facing" back or if it's "Facing up".

Mortec

The main difference will be if it's a roller block (1987 and newer) and if it has a 1-piece rear main seal.

The 454 and 427 are the same block, they just have different strokes. The 427 has the shorter stroke. There are more people here with better info, I hope they can help as well. Take care and good luck!
Old 03-13-2006, 05:06 AM

Last photo:

thanks , this is what mortec said 10069284...427T..............4-bolt, Mark IV, Tall deck
Old 03-13-2006, 05:53 AM
No officer I won’t do it again

Last photo:

The 454 and 427 are the same block, they just have different strokes. The 427 has the shorter stroke. There are more people here with better info, I hope they can help as well. Take care and good luck![/QUOTE]

I am by no means an expert on BB but I do believe that there is a difference between the 454 and the 427 being a tall deck. If I remember right. The heads will interchange but the intake defiantly is tall deck only. As far I know the 366/427 had there own block. Not meaning to cause a conflict here but I ran into that problem when putting at intake onto a 427.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:05 AM

superrican,

This is a truck engine. No problem, but does not worth to rebuild it stock because it has super heavy pistons with 4 rings, and uses a wider manifold and a gear driven can. But it is a great start for a stroker tall deck engine. You'll be able to use a bigger tnah 4 inches stroker crank and do not have to worry about using a short rod.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

The tall deck block is .440 higher than a regular Big Block Chevrolet block...so you need a longer distributor ( or one with a slip collar ) you will have push rod issues, and intake manifold issues....

I built one 30 years ago to get a BIG motor........and I made a set of spacers to go between the intake and the heads......I custom ordered a longer set of push rods and I machined the distributor to work.....with the block bored I was at 490 cubic inches with a stroker crankshaft......and custom pistons...

That was a BIG engine then....
Now you can just buy a 502 from GM for a lot less effort and money.

572 cubic inches is easy too... if you have the ca$h.

The tall deck is a lot of trouble NOW for not much gain IMHO.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Rooster

summit and jegs both sell aluminum spacers to use any car intake on a truck block so that part isn't a problem. some people actually prefer the tall truck block (weirdos I suppose ), and world products actually makes an aftermarket tall block, so there must be some advantages to them. I had a truck block and I pitch it in the recycle bin, I would have never considered using it, but thats just me. also on the mark IV to mark V blocks, isn't there an issue about the water holes on the heads? don't quote me on this but I believe you can use a mark V head on a mark IV, but not the other way around.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:14 AM

There is a difference in the cooling system. For all porpouses in mismatched heads blocks use felpro #1037, #1047 or #1067 and You're thru. It is said that no gen 4 heads on gen 5 blocks. But ok on gen 6. No visual difference betwenn 5 and 6 decks, had both togheter. Felpro informs their parts helps solving but must check for water leaks for mismatched holes. Have made a couple of engines with diff gen heads and blocks, no issues ever.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.