427 Tall Block? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 05:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

427 Tall Block?

I have a 79 Suburban. It came with a SB in it. A Previous owner told me he put a BBC in it. A 454 Block, and 396 steel crank. The Engine # is: T1008CGU DS = 5T. The Casting # is: 3963512. It runs great, lots of power. I am not planning on Hot Rodding it, but I would like to find out exactly what I have for parts needs. I first thought that owner built up the motor up from parts, however, I am now wondering if it might be 427 Tall Block Truck engine? Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 05:49 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The block casting number shows up as a 427 or 454, not a tall deck. With a 396 crank, it's a now a 427. I don't see a suffix "CGU".
Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 PM
More for Less Racer

Tall Deck block is easy to visually identify by looking at where the water pump bolts to the block, If the head/block mating surface is right near the water pump leg, it is a short block. If there is roughly on the block 1/2" distance between the water pump leg and the head/block mating surface it is a Tall Deck block.

Your "512" casting # indicates a standard Short Deck block.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:59 PM

427 Tall Block?

Thanks for the help. One other thing I'm trying to find out. I am trying to change out the fuel pump, which started leaking after sitting for a long time. The pump push rod keeps falling down, so I managed to take the plug out of the block, right below the fuel pump flange, hoping to use a longer bolt to keep the push rod up, so I can slip the pump lever arm between the bolt end and the push rod. Turns out the plug is a square headed one, either 5/8", or 16 mm, with a medium thread, or pipe thread. Is that what belongs on this block, or has someone "Jury-Rigged" it as a repair? If so, are there any bolts that use that size/thread, or do I have to figure out another way to do this?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:40 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Paul
Thanks for the help. One other thing I'm trying to find out. I am trying to change out the fuel pump, which started leaking after sitting for a long time. The pump push rod keeps falling down, so I managed to take the plug out of the block, right below the fuel pump flange, hoping to use a longer bolt to keep the push rod up, so I can slip the pump lever arm between the bolt end and the push rod. Turns out the plug is a square headed one, either 5/8", or 16 mm, with a medium thread, or pipe thread. Is that what belongs on this block, or has someone "Jury-Rigged" it as a repair? If so, are there any bolts that use that size/thread, or do I have to figure out another way to do this?
To replace the fuel pump, use a blob of thick moly grease on the end of the pump rod to "stick" it to the cam eccentric.

Be sure to put the cam in position so the eccentric is at its lowest point so the pump rod will not be protruding any more than it has to.

With the pump rod 'glued' to the cam, work quickly to place the fuel pump's arm in position behind the end of the push rod so the rod doesn't fall back down.

You can use a 8-point or 12-point socket to remove the plug, then use a stiff piece of wire, etc. to push the rod back up then position the pump arm as outlined above. Don't forget to replace the plug.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
To replace the fuel pump, use a blob of thick moly grease on the end of the pump rod to "stick" it to the cam eccentric.

Be sure to put the cam in position so the eccentric is at its lowest point so the pump rod will not be protruding any more than it has to.

With the pump rod 'glued' to the cam, work quickly to place the fuel pump's arm in position behind the end of the push rod so the rod doesn't fall back down.

You can use a 8-point or 12-point socket to remove the plug, then use a stiff piece of wire, etc. to push the rod back up then position the pump arm as outlined above. Don't forget to replace the plug.

X2, done this a few times, and i got the trick from my local NAPA parts guy. it works like a charm
Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 AM

427 Tall Block?

Thanks, I will try that next., instead of finding a bolt. Not sure what a thick moly grease is though?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:29 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks, I will try that next., instead of finding a bolt. Not sure what a thick moly grease is though?
Crane used to sell a cam break in lube that was thick, black moly lube, but you know what? A pencil eraser-sized blob of axle grease will work.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:43 AM

427 Tall Block?

Thanks, that helps a lot. Now if my local NAPA stores has it, I'm in tall cotton.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:03 PM

427 Tall Block?

I want to thank all the people who responded to my post for information and help very much.
What I found at NAPA was 1 pound tub of "Doctor Tranny's" "Assemblee Goo", a very thick and sticky Tranmission Assembly Lude, advertised to be stable up to 130 Degrees F. I applied it to the fuel pump push rod, and it worked extremely well.
Problem solved, and the new fuel pump is on the Suburban's 427 engine.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:19 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
I want to thank all the people who responded to my post for information and help very much.
What I found at NAPA was 1 pound tub of "Doctor Tranny's" "Assemblee Goo", a very thick and sticky Tranmission Assembly Lude, advertised to be stable up to 130 Degrees F. I applied it to the fuel pump push rod, and it worked extremely well.
Problem solved, and the new fuel pump is on the Suburban's 427 engine.
That's a good tip- and thanks for the follow up. All too often we never hear the outcome.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:56 PM

427 Fall Block?

Thanks, I wouldn't feel right about not letting everybody know how it turned out, and what I learned.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:20 PM

Last journal entry: Time vs money
Last photo:

CGU suffix

I know the last post was several months ago but I wanted to add what I found about the suffix code in case someone else reads this later.

CGU suffix only shows up for one car in my book. 1970 Impala 454 ci, 390 hp, th400 trans, LS-5 RPO, 1x4 (single four barrel carb) and no other notes. All tall deck blocks in the book have a note saying they are tall decks.

The book is from MSA-1 in case you want to check others experience with its accuracy. I bought it years ago.

Hope it helps.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.