427 tall deck advice needed plz help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 01:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

427 tall deck advice needed plz help

hi, i have a 1974 427 talldeck in my gmc jimmy 4x4,i got a couple questions involving parts, first of the engine had 4 to 1 long tube headers,board 30 over,and im running a q jet carb and adater on it, everything esle is stock including the oval port heads, 350th trans with stage 2 shift kit, 1: dose myflexplate need weights on it?? 2 im curanly converting the engine over to hei and need to change my oil pump drive to do this, i have a oil pump drive off a 350 sbc will this this work with the big block pump??, 3 im looking at pro comp or mr gasket gasket kits on ebay, are these anygood??? problems???,4 the gasket kits ive been looking at ar for the regular 427 bbc, will these gaskets work on my engine?, 5 im looking to remove the big tub of an oil pan and switch it out for a smaller one, like a 5 or 6 qrt, is there any isuses with me doing this???? any help or ideas would be great, thanks, mr dude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dude View Post
hi, i have a 1974 427 talldeck in my gmc jimmy 4x4,i got a couple questions involving parts, first of the engine had 4 to 1 long tube headers,board 30 over,and im running a q jet carb and adater on it, everything esle is stock including the oval port heads, 350th trans with stage 2 shift kit, 1: dose myflexplate need weights on it?? 2 im curanly converting the engine over to hei and need to change my oil pump drive to do this, i have a oil pump drive off a 350 sbc will this this work with the big block pump??, 3 im looking at pro comp or mr gasket gasket kits on ebay, are these anygood??? problems???,4 the gasket kits ive been looking at ar for the regular 427 bbc, will these gaskets work on my engine?, 5 im looking to remove the big tub of an oil pan and switch it out for a smaller one, like a 5 or 6 qrt, is there any isuses with me doing this???? any help or ideas would be great, thanks, mr dude
No weights on this flywheel/flexplate, same as 265-350 SBC.

To change the ignition to HEI you will need a distrib for a tall deck or an adjustable mounting ring aftermkt distrib. The entire distributor is mounted higher in a tall deck. Shaft is longer. The stock Chevy HEI is too short.

SBC shaft will not work in big block. Use the existing shaft.

ProComp and Mr.Gasket gasket sets are good for stock or mild engines. The front and rear rubber intake/valley gaskets will be too short. Pour new ones from silicone.

A smaller oil pan will require a different oil pump pickup.
Don't plan on revving this engine. Those HEAVY 4 ring pistons are good for just low rpm runs.
The Following User Says Thank You to BOBCRMAN@aol.com For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 06:04 PM

thanks a bunch bobcrman, iv checked the dizzy from the tall deck and a regular dizzy, there shaft lenghts are the same, i googled it to double check , and turns out if u use the stock intake u should be fine, gm had the dizzy hole ressed a bit to fit a standar lenght dizzy, from what i understood u need dizzys with slip coalars if u use a regualr bbc intake with spacers on a tall deck, because the dissy hole wouldnt be ressed anymore???? i could be wrong, like i said this is all off google, and would i be asking for trouble if i used the gasket kit as mentiond befor with a 8v71 blower pushing around 5 psi, the reason i ask is im going to atempt to make a manifold to mount the blower (and i will most likly fail lol) and would like to use the intake gasket as a jig, and run them,also i ran a flexpalte with a weight on it for maybe 5hours of run time, would this hurt anything??? any further advice would be awsome
Old 04-11-2013, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

My memory ain't what it used to be. The Google info may be correct as I was thinking about past experience and I have never run a tall deck with a double thermostat stock intake.
I would not use the inexpensive gaskets on a blown engine.

As for the intake. I have bought three tall deck blower intakes, over the years, from the Holley web site. They have a garage sale type clearance area. Like new, None over $150.00. Rectangle port, but could be used on oval ports with a rect gasket.

Those cast truck pistons won't last.
Running the weighted flywheel can destroy bearings. Check main bearings when you change pan.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
No weights on this flywheel/flexplate, same as 265-350 SBC.

To change the ignition to HEI you will need a distrib for a tall deck or an adjustable mounting ring aftermkt distrib. The entire distributor is mounted higher in a tall deck. Shaft is longer. The stock Chevy HEI is too short.

SBC shaft will not work in big block. Use the existing shaft.

ProComp and Mr.Gasket gasket sets are good for stock or mild engines. The front and rear rubber intake/valley gaskets will be too short. Pour new ones from silicone.

A smaller oil pan will require a different oil pump pickup.
Don't plan on revving this engine. Those HEAVY 4 ring pistons are good for just low rpm runs.
I had a tall deck 427 in my 57 Chevy and a tall deck 366 in my fathers dump truck.I put a stock SBC HEI in both and had no problem.I checked and double checked the length of the dist. and found them to be the same.The factory tall deck intake is recessed where the dizzy goes to keep the normal length dizzy.When I put a aftermarket aluminum intake from a normal BBC with the adapter kit,then I needed an adjustable dizzy but not with the stock cast iron tall deck intake.
The Following User Says Thank You to speedydeedy For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 09:21 PM

speedy, did u have to change the oil pump drive for the hei to work, my td came stock with a square drive, and all the hei i seen are flat drives, just woundering if u had the same problem, if so how did u fix it???? also bob, do u mind sending me a link to that section on the holley website, i just looked on the website and couldnt find it, thanks again for all the info
Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

Just use a stock short deck BBC oil pump drive. I will try to find Holley site
Old 05-15-2013, 07:19 PM

alright this is an update on what I have so far with a lot more questions lol sorry guys im new to this, so far I change the oil pump drive and started cleaning up motor and painting, while I had the oil pan off I figured it would be a good time to check main bearings, I noticed one appeared to have gotten hot??? but I checked all of them anyways and they all came out at 0.002 to 0.003 thou ( using plastic gage and torqueing bolts to 110 ft) is this excepatable for my engine? i was talking with people here and they said it was fine but want to double check, im going to replace bearings anyways because of the hot one, i figured if i have to take the crank out might as well look into stroking it to a 496 correct me if im wrong but that is bored 60 thou and 4.25 crank??? i was wondering if a 45 olds crank could possibly work , i read somewhere that they are 4.25??? or is there was a way to stroke my engine by offset grinding my original crank without losing to much strength ??? any thoughts or opinions would be great, thanks in advance, and sorry about the big write up

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« carb | v8 s10 »