427 TALL DECK block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 04:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Exclamation 427 TALL DECK block

I have a 427 bbc(obviously) in my 1969 camaro, It's a REAL gm factory rebuild crate motor. Eventually I'll be looking at new pistons and all of that good stuff. The only intake I've found that will fit without spacers is the 72?? something Team G intake(powerband 2500-8500) which is a single plain basically a tunnel ram almost. It's huge. This motor is out of a truck its a 4 bolt mains block. heads are oval port. Does anyone know of where i can get a STOCK tall deck bbc intake. or anything aftermarket? I need something smaller. and I know this sounds obsurd but. Is it anyway possible to machine the block to turn it into a standard deck?(obviously getting all new internals) but is it possible? that's what i'd like to know.. i love the 427.. i just dont like the fact i'm limited on intake manifolds, i have a set of spacers.. but they're not worth the $110 i paid for them.. they leak vacuum everywhere. let me know people. Thanks so much
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	227  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2003, 06:31 AM

I hear you. I just had a customer about a month ago with the EXACT problem. He had a 427 truck motor in a 68 camaro. I looked everywhere for an aftermarket intake to no avail. I called Edelbrock and they have nothing. The one you found was the same one I found. I looked around for stock intakes but I had no luck.

Good luck though!
Old 09-08-2003, 09:00 AM

That sure is a shame, that motor is designed for torque, not HP and I know a ton of guys who would trade a 454 for it in a heartbeat just to get a truck motor that was designed for hard use.

Tall decks are getting hard to find since GM stopped making them. I looked everywhere over the Mid-south and couldn't find a short block for less than $900.
If you take out the "tall" in that "tall deck" you got alot of machine work in it just to get a motor that could have been bought as a standard deck for cheaper.

-B.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:17 AM

Last journal entry: More propane stuff
Last photo:

Have you tried any of the big truck junk yards? You could use a stock intake off of a 366 or 427. I cant remember if they are set up for q-jets or holley someone else might know. I just bought a 2 ton truck with a 427 in it( trucks not here yet, if it was I would look and see what carb setup) I am going to be selling the truck after I take the propane tank off of it. Its a cabover and runs and drives.

John
Old 09-08-2003, 10:53 AM

Hi. I have worked on a lot of the tall deck blocks and engines.
As far as I know all of the motors came with a holley bolt pattern intake. The problem with using the truck intake is that it has two thermostats and huge radiator and bypass hose connections, this can be resolved but it wont look stock, if that is important.An intake shouldnt be hard to find.
One other thing that i didnt know untiill a few years ago is that the tall 427 is externally balanced. The 366 is internal. I have built a few 427 tall decks for RVs and used standard harmonic balancers and flywheels on them, (off of short deck passanger type engines) to balance these properly i have to weld in weight in the crankshaft. Its not as much as a 454 but its still a lot if you want the motor properly balanced. The balacer that came on the tall decks wont fit standard pulleys and they (all i have seen) only come with a massavie stick flywheel. I have seen a couple blocks that are not even drilled for a starter (the large truck has the starter bolted to a ring attached to the bellhousing) but i have drilled and tapped these, its no big deal.

thanks jeff
Old 05-21-2004, 12:16 AM

got tons of tall decks in central america

I have found three buss motors that were hooked to the allison transmission (automatic)
these motors ,the three that I have been given, are 427 T and all are internally balanced and have a flex plate that is cast iron and weighs as much as a flywheel. the flex plates are huge,,at least 14-15 inches in diameter.
I have looked into the balancing game and from I can gather the forged crank can be used if i can get some 427 pistons ,forged that weigh the same as the 427 tall deck pistons, so the counter weights on the crank will balance back to 0.
how does this sound?
Old 05-21-2004, 12:27 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Check this out

http://www.worldcastings.com/docs/03catalog/intakes.pdf

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html

You guys aren't trying hard enough!!

Last edited by machine shop tom; 05-21-2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:12 PM

another intake idea

what about picking ANY aluminum intake ,take it to your favorite aluminum welder ,along with the aluminum 427 T spacers , weld the spacers on to the manifold ,and then have it re surfaced back to flat and only use one set of gaskets.
This is what I will be doing next chance.
don't think the spacers would ever leak if the welds are fine and the machine work is good.

and after the welds are done port match the intake runners a bit, to insure the welds don't interupt flow.
All this work would cost about 80 dollars here.
no idea how much in the states.
P
Old 08-20-2004, 02:56 AM

OOOOOps
and the distribudor that has the slip coller!

Forgot that point.
P
Old 08-20-2004, 07:21 AM

Last photo:

That would cost well over $300.00 here!!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:37 PM

I also have a 427 tall deck
I solved the problem by using aftermarket spacer plates which you can get from summit racing so i could mount my edelbrock tourquer 2 on my engine

Also check ebay for the distributor
thats where i got mine for under 200$
Old 10-19-2010, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

YES,With a slip collar distrib. ==Spacers LEAK!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Bold As Love

Last photo:

That is what I want instead of my 454 for my rv, I would trade my 454 for one if I could. I didn't think there would be that much trouble finding a tall deck aftermarket manifold since there are those after market 10.2 deck blocks in the magazines for the stroker setups. I didnt know the tall deck would fit in a a camero, I had read that they would nt clear the power brake booster or something. Anyway thanks for the post, good luck sounds like a fun project
Old 12-26-2010, 06:50 PM

tall deck intake

I have a chevy 427 tall deck stock intake.Interested in trading for aftermarket.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

I have pondered this leaking problem and have wondered....
What if you roughed up the intake manifold and one side of the spacers and slathered the connection with epoxy such as JB Weld, than bolted the manifold to the heads with double gaskets and let the epoxy set up. That should eliminate at least half of the leaking, right? Then if a guy used this article I wrote for the wiki to do the other side of the spacers at the heads, couldn't he end up with a workable one-piece intake?
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...al_vacuum_leak

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.